Recommended online retailers?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Was wondering where most you guys are going to buy computer parts these days including gpus? Seems Amazon and Especially Ebay is overpriced. Way too many scalpers out there.

Read that local shops are recommended these days.

Thanks

Hi,

Was wondering where most you guys are going to buy computer parts these days including gpus? Seems Amazon and Especially Ebay is overpriced. Way too many scalpers out there.

Read that local shops are recommended these days.

Thanks
Sad news. Amazon and eBay are reflective of current market pricing. They aren’t at all individually high compared to other online retailers.

You can occasionally find lower priced cards sold directly by Amazon. Some people use the Newegg shuffle but those cards are also over priced and bundled with junk shit.

So basically what I’m saying is, there isn’t a place that readily sells video cards at msrp or decent pricing currently.

Crazy world we live in these days. This is what happens when we rely on one retailer for like everything.

Crazy world we live in these days. This is what happens when we rely on one retailer for like everything.
before online became prevalent there were so many retailers they had thick Computer Shoppers you had to hunt through for deals.

1644082522804.png

before online became prevalent there were so many retailers they had thick Computer Shoppers you had to hunt through for deals.

View attachment 441084
Or local 'computer shows'. Some vendors would let us search through their stock for certain stepping low volt T-breds. Then they caught on and started charging a premium for them.

yep.. I remember getting my first engineering sample from one of those swap meets. It was a old williamette intel cpu iirc
Screenshot from ExcliberPC back in the day. Ten fiddy markup from one on the right. Small compared to some vendors.

Attachments

• 1700.price.jpg
    1700.price.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: xx0xx
like this
I remember computer shopper. The recycler magazine in LA where I grew up. Computer shows were indeed awesome. It seems in our modern world we've gained a crap ton of conveniance, but the options have lessened, and they suck.

I like Amazon for the reason that returns are simple and painless. It happens....like when you find out the memory you ordered doesn't like your new motherboard (even though it was on the compatibility list). Prices seem market rate-ish. Anyway, they're my current go to for parts. One man's opinion.....

I like Amazon for the reason that returns are simple and painless. It happens....like when you find out the memory you ordered doesn't like your new motherboard (even though it was on the compatibility list). Prices seem market rate-ish. Anyway, they're my current go to for parts. One man's opinion.....
same here. Returns are a breeze and prices are average.
Oh and shipping is lightning fast compared to screwegg.

Screenshot from ExcliberPC back in the day. Ten fiddy markup from one on the right. Small compared to some vendors.
Remember Monarch Computers?
GoogleGear?

Definitely dating myself. Used to have a lot more options, that's for sure.

Remember Monarch Computers?
GoogleGear?

Definitely dating myself. Used to have a lot more options, that's for sure.
the office I worked in back in the 90's was in the the same parking lot as DirtCheapDrives & MegaHaus. Always got the early drops / ads since I hung out with some of the employees on the smoke deck.. definitely brings back some memories. I remember buying my first pc parts from some guy that ran a big bbs from his attic. haha

I usually look at pcpartpicker.com For Canada, you have to look up at the top right corner and scroll to Canada in the menu. There are other countries as well. (Like search for an item like Corsair Carbide Series 110R.)

If you live in SoCal, Newegg's shipping is pretty fast. Unfortunately they recently started rolling their own couriers instead of using UPS / FedEx, which means you have no real tracking information or guarantee that the delivery person is anyone except a rando in a white van. Creepy.

View attachment 441084
I miss catalogues....
The digikey catalogue could keep me busy for endless hours... Add some graph paper and a calculator.....
Etailers suck these days. And GPUs are unobtainium.

Texasguntrader.com. All kinds of hardware.

Reactions: travm
like this
I used to use Pricewatch until they shut down. A build's worth of parts would take weeks to come in from different little shops. I did some with Computer shows too.

Retailers I've used in the past decade that still exist:
  • Amazon
  • BestBuy*
  • B&H Photo
  • MicroCenter*
  • Newegg
Others have since shut down. I haven't purchased new hardware recently, so I'd have difficulty ranking them. Prices are easy enough to compare. Maybe someone can comment on their packaging, which may be a concern depending on the component (e.g., mechanical hard drives).

What ever happened to Directron? Google says they've shut down permanently, but their site shows no indication of that. I once ordered some case fans from them, but that's it.

* Didn't see mentioned in this thread.

I buy crap from B&H or drive 660 miles round trip to Micro Center to buy computer parts when Amazon is OOS or 3rd parties selling for absurd prices.

• Amazon
  • BestBuy*
  • B&H Photo
  • MicroCenter*
  • Newegg
Others have since shut down. I haven't purchased new hardware recently, so I'd have difficulty ranking them. Prices are easy enough to compare. Maybe someone can comment on their packaging, which may be a concern depending on the component (e.g., mechanical hard drives).

What ever happened to Directron? Google says they've shut down permanently, but their site shows no indication of that. I once ordered some case fans from them, but that's it.

Decided to look at Directron after seeing LGR warehouse video as I used to shop with them many many years ago in the early and mid 00s. Soyo Dragon Mobos and 2 SuperFlower SF-201B CASES 4 THE WIN BOYZZZ!!!
Directron's site might've been sold for the name, Goggle street view shows their store front a total wreak, short of being a spot for homeless to loiter at.
Only seen 1 Yelp review from 2019 the manager replied to. I think Covid put the nails in their coffin. RIP

Last edited:
  • Amazon
  • BestBuy*
  • B&H Photo
  • MicroCenter*
  • Newegg

Decided to look at Directron after seeing LGR warehouse video as I used to shop with them many many years ago in the early and mid 00s. Soyo Dragon Mobos and 2 SuperFlower SF-201B CASES 4 THE WIN BOYZZZ!!!
Directron's site might've been sold for the name, Goggle street view shows their store front a total wreak, short of being a spot for homeless to loiter at.
Only seen 1 Yelp review from 2019 the manager replied to. I think Covid put the nails in their coffin. RIP
Looks like they moved shop to texas. The website is back up and revamped, and a bing search gives a texas address.

Looks like they moved shop to texas. The website is back up and revamped, and a bing search gives a texas address.

I thought Directron was always in Texas.
Ya, they been in Texas, not sure about their online shop, product looks dated last I looked.
Yeah, you're right. For some reason I thought they were in Florida.
Tigerdirect IIRC, haven't ordered from them in a long time.

Reactions: Nobu
like this
Highest tier: Seconding B&H Photo. Been a great experience every time. Amazon good for prices, shipping, and returns. Adorama was decent for HTPC stuff (as was Crutchfield). Adorama a bit slow on shipping though.

Mid tier: If I want something fast, and the price is decent, I'll buy online at Best Buy and pick up in store same day.

Low tier: I avoid Newegg now. eBay only for very specific things, usually small cheap/lightweight stuff (cables, adapters, etc)

Untried tier: Microcenter. Haven't bought anything online, and haven't visited a store yet (4 hours + bad traffic away), though I should make my pilgrimage to this haven sometime and impulse buy all sorts of things.

Back