Recommended Large (27 to 32") Monitor for CAD & Text

CJT1963

n00b
To all, My Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD - LCD monitor with TV tuner - 27" - 1920x1080 Full HD-TN - 300cd/m2-50000:1 (dynamic)-5ms, of many years use for intensive (LONG- HOURS) office CAD & TEXT work has unfortunately started to breakdown with a vertical thin blue line on the right-hand side.

I decided, before it gave up completely, to purchase a new Monitor, in perhaps a little haste. As cost was a factor, I went for Samsung U32J590 Ultra HD 31.5" 60Hz Monitor. However, the text looks very poor compared to my old monitor & my CAD line work isn’t that good either.

It was recommended to use the higher resolution of 3830x2160, however the text size needed to be re-scaled & ended up being 175% & even 200% to look better as blurry, but still poor compared to my old monitor. I then tried a lower resolution of 2560x1440 with various text scaling, but still not great. I’ve now ended up setting it at 1920x1080 with text scaling at 100%. It’s a bit too big for this monitor size I know, but better all round for various programmes.

I was also wondering if my old Graphics card may be part of the problem & not showing the text as sharp as it could be ? It’s a: NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-550-Ti.

I think I’m now going to try & send it back for a refund as the sharpness of the text is definitely an issue for me compared to my old monitor.

If successful, I was wondering if anyone could point me in a better direction for a large monitor that would present text better & in use at higher resolutions.

----------UPDATE SINCE LAST POST-01-29th January 2021------------

I did a search for my Graphics card driver for updates, windows said I have the latest driver, but not too sure so will check with NVIDIA later. However, as a test, I plugged my old monitor back into the PC with the newer HDMI cable & the same blurry text & poor image as the new monitor (now boxed & ready to return). I then tried the older cable VGA (15-PIN) & back to normal with perfect crisp sharp text & nicer image as before.

Although resolved to a certain extent, newer monitors don't tend to have the older VGA (15-PIN) sockets. I have seen (I think) VGA to HDMI adaptors, so may try that prior to purchasing a new monitor as another test. It is odd though as my graphics card has these two sockets & a third one being a DVI socket not too sure why poor results on the HDMI cable & good results on my VGA cable.

Anyone the wiser why this is so ?

It was recommended to use the higher resolution of 3830x2160, however the text size needed to be re-scaled & ended up being 175% & even 200% to look better as blurry, but still poor compared to my old monitor.
That resolution should make text much clearer not worse, your old monitor was very low PPI so a low bar. You should always run native res in lcd panels, so 3840x2160 on the Samsung. What OS are you using? Windows 10? If so do right click on the desktop, go to DisplaySettings->Advanced scaling settings->And enter 150 in the box, making sure you have the recommended 3840x2160 selected as well. Other things you should check is https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/80598-turn-off-cleartype-windows-10-a.html this can cause blurry text if it's not set properly (you could turn it off first to see if it's that, and adjust it if it is). Graphics card should have no problem with text (heavy 3d programs is where it will struggle with the new resolution), but the connections you have available on it will limit you to 30hz (this won't cause blur on text but moving things around on the screen including the mouse will be slow), so a new video card should also be on your list sometime in the future to get to 60hz. Blur can also come from programs themselves if they don't implement dpi scaling correctly, but most programs do.

If you suspect the cable being the problem and have some dvi-d (dual link dvi) cable laying around you could try with this https://www.amazon.com/Anbear-Bi-Di...l+link+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1612038910&sr=8-10 VGA is an analog signal, it shouldn't be better than HDMI normally and also is much more limited with the resolutions it supports. What specific GTX 550 Ti do you have? Or more important, what connections does it have? Best for 4k would be DisplayPort, but most of the 550 TI's only had HDMI and DVI.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back