Recommended keyboards for work

fred111

n00b
Is there any mechanical keyboard suitable for work? I'm currently using a red switch one.

Epos7

Gawd
You can find mechanical keyboards in just about any configuration you like.

Do you need function keys? Numpad? Those would be my first two questions.

From there, if you're working in a shared office space, some switches can be annoying to co-workers. Stay away from MX-Blue.

pendragon1

Fully [H]
lol yeah that^^ at home get whatever you like. at work, try not to annoy the coworkers... edit: something with mx silent switches should be fine.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
I got my wife a full on RGB White GMMK with pudding caps and cherry red switches for her job and everyone is envious of it there.

It also helps that she types at around 140wpm.

DanNeely

2[H]4U
You can find mechanical keyboards in just about any configuration you like.

Do you need function keys? Numpad? Those would be my first two questions.

From there, if you're working in a shared office space, some switches can be annoying to co-workers. Stay away from MX-Blue.
Depending on how hard of a typist you are, even Red's are way louder than membrane/scissor switch designs. No noise maker at the half-stroke point, but if you bottom out there's still a clacking noise. I am debating buying another one for my now permanent WFH setup; but wouldn't use one in the office.

Epos7

Gawd
Depending on how hard of a typist you are, even Red's are way louder than membrane/scissor switch designs. No noise maker at the half-stroke point, but if you bottom out there's still a clacking noise. I am debating buying another one for my now permanent WFH setup; but wouldn't use one in the office.
That's true. O-rings under the keycaps can sometimes help with the clackiness but there are probably better options for a heavy handed typist.

I use Brown switches in my office keyboard and it's fairly quiet.

DanNeely

2[H]4U
That's true. O-rings under the keycaps can sometimes help with the clackiness but there are probably better options for a heavy handed typist.

I use Brown switches in my office keyboard and it's fairly quiet.
I have o-rings in mine. It spent a few days back in the box starting an hourish after unboxing while I ordered orings and waited for them to arrive because it was too loud even for home use without them.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wrong, she has the brown switches (with o-rings) for her work computer. Her home computer is the red switches (also with o-rings) I put o-rings on all of my mechanical keyboards, mostly for the shorter travel distance.

ElementDave

Limp Gawd
I have o-rings in mine. It spent a few days back in the box starting an hourish after unboxing while I ordered orings and waited for them to arrive because it was too loud even for home use without them.
What KB and switches? Were they Cherry MX Reds or Browns (and if the former, were they the "silent" variety)?

motqalden

[H]ard|DCOTM x4
Reds dont make any sound unless you bottom out. Get orings, double up or get thick ones and or learn to type without bottoming out. They will actuate well before the bottom point of the keycap striking the deck

DanNeely

2[H]4U
Reds dont make any sound unless you bottom out. Get orings, double up or get thick ones and or learn to type without bottoming out. They will actuate well before the bottom point of the keycap striking the deck
Muscle memory dating back to when I was 6 or 7 says changing how I type is never going to happen.

motqalden

[H]ard|DCOTM x4
Muscle memory dating back to when I was 6 or 7 says changing how I type is never going to happen.
Hahah I am in the same boat TBH , but I am satisfied with how reasonably quite things are with MX browns + o-rings I doubled up on some of the keys that i tend to pound on extra hard such as spacebar / backspace / esc / del.

ElementDave

Limp Gawd
Also typing without bottoming out is slower and probably bad for your hands.
Did you mean to say the opposite?

I'm pretty desperate at this point so I'll just throw this out there in case any of you have any ideas.

I've been looking for a decent no-nonsense tenkeyless keyboard for a while. (TKL is important for mouse proximity.)

Most of the mechanical keyboards have keys that appear taller than "normal". It's difficult to tell from images whether that's the result of bezel design or the switches, but I'd prefer standard-height keys. The keys also should not be wobbly -- at least not more so than those of a typical membrane. I'm not hypersensitive to noise, but don't want something obnoxiously loud either.

Are there any keyboards that provide an improved ergonomic typing experience while preserving the standard/common PC KB layout (i.e., not specifically an "ergo" KB)?

I was considering a Leopold FC750R with Brown switches, but keep having doubts as to whether I'd be any better off than I would with a decent membrane.

I feel like I've spent way too much time reading about key switch characteristics and other KB design factors. I'm not interested in making this a hobby.

If anyone has any suggestions, mechanical or otherwise, they would be greatly appreciated.

The number of keyboard options is staggering. It was much simpler when the choice was between beige and beige.

sharknice

2[H]4U

I'm pretty desperate at this point so I'll just throw this out there in case any of you have any ideas.

I've been looking for a decent no-nonsense tenkeyless keyboard for a while. (TKL is important for mouse proximity.)

Most of the mechanical keyboards have keys that appear taller than "normal". It's difficult to tell from images whether that's the result of bezel design or the switches, but I'd prefer standard-height keys. The keys also should not be wobbly -- at least not more so than those of a typical membrane. I'm not hypersensitive to noise, but don't want something obnoxiously loud either.

Are there any keyboards that provide an improved ergonomic typing experience while preserving the standard/common PC KB layout (i.e., not specifically an "ergo" KB)?

I was considering a Leopold FC750R with Brown switches, but keep having doubts as to whether I'd be any better off than I would with a decent membrane.

I feel like I've spent way too much time reading about key switch characteristics and other KB design factors. I'm not interested in making this a hobby.

If anyone has any suggestions, mechanical or otherwise, they would be greatly appreciated.

The number of keyboard options is staggering. It was much simpler when the choice was between beige and beige.
Nope, to avoid bottoming out you need to have a lighter touch which means moving your fingers slower, or forcefully pulling back after you hit the actuation point which adds stress on your finger muscles instead of letting momentum subside on its own as the keys bottom out.

You may think avoiding bottoming out means your fingers travel less distance so it's faster but it isn't because you're just trying to get past the actuation point which is toward the middle. If you bottom out you're going full speed through that point. If you're avoiding bottoming out you're slowing down before you hit that point.

If you're a slower typer maybe it's not an issue, but if you're going 100+ wpm it doesn't work well.

DanNeely

2[H]4U

Unless your definition of "normal" is the low profile stuff coming from laptop inspired keyboards, normal mechanical ones have standard full height/travel keys similar to what's been around for many decades. To the extent that a lot look taller it's that a common design option of late is to remove the bezel of the keyboard so the apparent height is increased by the ~1/8" height of the switch itself above the PCB/frame. If that is your definition, some low profile mechanical options are available.

To minimize noise you want a non-clicky switch and aftermarket o-rings added to the stems to damp the noise from them bottoming out.

toast0

[H]ard|Gawd

Left mousing is one way to get mouse proximity without giving up the ten key (or having to find a design you like without one).

You can still do right mouse for gaming; even after left mousing in the office for a decade, I can't left mouse in games worth a damn. I also would do left mouse at work and right mouse at home to even out the mousing stress.

sharknice

2[H]4U
Left mousing is one way to get mouse proximity without giving up the ten key (or having to find a design you like without one).

You can still do right mouse for gaming; even after left mousing in the office for a decade, I can't left mouse in games worth a damn. I also would do left mouse at work and right mouse at home to even out the mousing stress.

I wish they put the numpad arrow keys, etc. on the left side. You could have the best of both worlds.

DanNeely

2[H]4U
I wish they put the numpad arrow keys, etc. on the left side. You could have the best of both worlds.
The joy of design inertia. The layouts date back to when the keyboard was the primary means of input (A mouse? Was it nesting in the case?), and thus were put on the right side so they would be conveniently located next to most users primary hand.

As a lefty every time I think about this I'm amused at how just one the righties managed to own-goal themselves.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
Though my current keyboard is a full size, and I utilize the numpad *a lot* for spreadsheets and such, I picked up a secondary hot swappable numpad for playing around with keycaps, switches and my likely inevitable move to a TKL.

ElementDave

Limp Gawd
Unless your definition of "normal" is the low profile stuff coming from laptop inspired keyboards, normal mechanical ones have standard full height/travel keys similar to what's been around for many decades. To the extent that a lot look taller it's that a common design option of late is to remove the bezel of the keyboard so the apparent height is increased by the ~1/8" height of the switch itself above the PCB/frame. If that is your definition, some low profile mechanical options are available.
Thanks! That's in accord with information I've gathered from other sources, so one less thing to worry about.
To minimize noise you want a non-clicky switch and aftermarket o-rings added to the stems to damp the noise from them bottoming out.
I'm hoping to avoid that (o-rings), but it's an option, at least. This is for home use so it doesn't need to be silent. 🤫

Eeny Meeny...

DanNeely

2[H]4U
I'm hoping to avoid that (o-rings), but it's an option, at least. This is for home use so it doesn't need to be silent. 🤫
s
So was I. Then I decided out of the box red's were too loud to be used withing about 15-20 feet of my ears.

trandoanhung1991

[H]ard|Gawd

I really like the Wooting One, not sure how you can get one anymore.

Epos7

Gawd

Could just be that some "low profile" cases make the keys appear taller:

1631317935247.png

There are also various key profiles. GMK is is on the lower-profile side. Something with MT3 profile keys will be taller:

1631318138036.png

I have a Durgod Taurus K320 at work, and I think it's great. If you want a no-nonsense TKL, that would be my recommendation. Bout $100 on Amazon.

Retrograde

n00b
i'm a software developer and i used an apple keyboard for years and it was tearing my hands up. i switch to a Logitech G915 TKL with linear switches and haven't looked back.