recommended Bulk Cat5e cable, crystals, and tools

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for recommended bulk Cat5e cable and appropriate crimping/toning/punch down tools.

In short, I've been asked to freelance for some small/minor cabling jobs coming in January that the usual cabling guy that my company usually uses won't do (not enough money for him/too far away).

I do minor crimping/punch downs for my day job (a small VOIP company).

Figure if I'm going to do this, I might as well do it with my own tools and practice at home, and when the time comes to do it freelancing, I'll be ready.

I use Klein tools at work, and I'm not really found of them. I can't really afford Fluke brand tools, so I'm not sure what alternative brands to look for since there are so many cheap knockoffs on Ebay/Amazon.

For cable, I heard Belden is good for bulk cable, but wasn't sure if that's true. Lastly, I've used some good crystals (RJ45) and some bad ones (the clip doesn't stay out enough to snap). Both of them coming from Home Depot (because my boss is too lazy to order them in bulk elsewhere), so I'm not sure what to look for.

I have used Primus Cable which was nice to work with for my home wiring project. The ez connectors and tools look like the way to go if you do a lot of crimping. I got a generic set of punch down and crimping tools for my home project that have worked well.

Belden makes a nice dual-cable Ethernet if you're running multiple drops to the same location. I'd like to get a spool to do my house, as I'll probably do at least two drops in each location I'm wiring to. Then you only have to pull a single cable for two ports.

Belden makes a nice dual-cable Ethernet if you're running multiple drops to the same location. I'd like to get a spool to do my house, as I'll probably do at least two drops in each location I'm wiring to. Then you only have to pull a single cable for two ports.

Where can one source this? This sounds perfect for a lot of installs.

I have used Primus Cable which was nice to work with for my home wiring project. The ez connectors and tools look like the way to go if you do a lot of crimping. I got a generic set of punch down and crimping tools for my home project that have worked well.

For this Primus Cable, ez connectors and tools, where does one source this?

Back