Recommended audio hardware for a cluttered, 10x14' room with a 100" screen on one end and a small loveseat in a corner?

CyJackX

n00b
In NYC, space is at a premium, so i was originally going to go with a soundbar, but at the behest of many a technophile I am now considering at least a 3.1 system, though, 5.1 could be on the table, which is what I'm asking about now. The pictures below should explain most of the setup.

Would it be too high to have the L and R on the projector brackets? With a bluetooth receiver I would be able to place it on the projector side of the room and route less wire. If I had rears, hanging them off the bottom of the shelf would not be ideal, no?

IMG_20201130_194617_087.jpg
IMG_20201130_223501.jpg
PXL_20201124_013918258.jpg

From the looks of it, placing 2 rear speakers above your head wouldn't give any surround benefit. Do you share walls with any neighbors?
How are you going to achieve good bass without disturbing the neighbors? For this small of a setup, I think a stereo configuration would suffice plus a nice pair of wireless surround headphones (or two if you have company).

A Bluetooth enabled receiver really only means that the receiver can receive a bluetooth audio signal. It should be able to transmit as well, but you'd need to research the particular receiver model to determine if it supports transmitting 5 or 3 channels simultaneously over bluetooth. You would still have to purchase bluetooth active speakers for the front speakers which means each speaker would have its own internal amp. This is often more costly and inferior audio quality.

IMO, this space is really too small to achieve a good surround sound setup. Will you be using your PC primarily to provide the signal to the projector? If so, you don't need a receiver at all if you decide to just use headphones.

A decent 2.1 receiver can be purchased for under $300. This would enable you to switch sources (PC/consoles) quite easily and have headphones or speakers connected to the receiver.

Are you asking if the front L/R would be too high if mounted on the screen brackets? Or are you suggesting placing L/R on the rear wall where the projector is?
I think it would be challenging to securely attach front L/R speakers to the screen brackets. I would only consider it if the brackets are screwed into studs instead of just using drywall anchors. Also, the speakers would have to be tiny. But no, it wouldn't be too high so long as you angled the speakers down slightly to aim directly at your head in the normal listening position.

Yeah, I do have neighbors so perhaps I should just go with a 2.0 or 3.0 without a subwoofer.
I figure just bluetooth for the receiver but to wire the speakers.
The projector has a roku and a switch, but I am considering running a line from the PC.
I was suggesting the screen brackets, yes. They are in studs I believe. The brackets say they're rated for 90lbs, though, yes, I do get anxious about pushing that on the ends of the brackets.

Given your circumstances, I would go soundbar. I'm curious what the "technophiles" said against them for the setup you have to work around. A good soundbar that is. If you are the only listener given the single chair, I would just go headphones so volume is never an issue for neighbors and save even more space.

If you do choose to go with speakers might take a look at the Kef T series 101, 205, & 301 they are ultra thin speakers.

Given your circumstances, I would go soundbar. I'm curious what the "technophiles" said against them for the setup you have to work around. A good soundbar that is. If you are the only listener given the single chair, I would just go headphones so volume is never an issue for neighbors and save even more space.
It'd be two folks at most.

Back