Recommendations for memory for an Intel 3.0 800FSB and Intel mobo

br0adband

Limp Gawd
I got one of those Intel Retail Edge packages a few weeks ago (the P4 3.0 GHz 800 MHz FSB and the Intel D865GBF mobo) and I'm wanting to build a "future proof" system that should last me for the next year or so.

I'd like to get some DDR400 for the board since it does support it and I've even spent time looking over Intel's support site for the memory that they tested on the board with no problems. Of course, Intel doesn't test Corsair or Mushkin stuff, they test the most common kinds of memory in the corporate IT world (Infineon, Dataram, Viking, Kingston, etc).

I want some good stuff, not the best of the best of the best (Corsair high end stuff that's just too damned expensive). My primary uses of this PC will be video encoding work (DV stuff I shoot myself and maybe some MPEG2 transcoding), some games (Quake 3 diehard player and some newer ones), 3D animation (3DStudio, Maya) and other things. Standard work, not dedicated to one specific type of application.

Again, I'd like it to be DDR400 stuff so any suggestions you fine peeps can offer is welcome. I'd like to try and keep the pricing to about $100-125 per stick of 512MB. I know this board can support up to 4GB of RAM but my target zone is to put 4 sticks of 512MB DDR400 memory on it for 2GB total and I'll be set for the future.

Thanks in advance,
br0adband

ive got this bundle, and i decided to use crucial ram, which im pretty happy with, ive always liked crucial for its stability. might not be the fastest, but you know it will always work well.

You can buy Corsair XMS series in the price range you mentioned.
I have 2 P4 systems running Corsair with the 875 chipset.

usualpulp:

Can you tell me specifically which Crucial memory, is it DDR400?

Thanks,
br0adband

Burning Phoenix:

I just did some price shopping at PriceWatch and Newegg and I can't find Corsair XMS DDR400 512MB sticks for anywhere near $100-125 a stick... can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
br0adband

I think we have a winner. :)

Thanks for the info everyone, I'll get the Kingston. DDR400, CL3, works for me. Great price too.

br0adband

Back