Recommendations for hobby starter kit?

davidlem

Gawd
I've dabbled with electronics (circuits, the like) in and out of my occupation, but it's not enough. I'm interested in getting a little more familiar with circuits, short of taking classes at the moment. I've built simple 555 timers on breadboards, have a couple years experience on Xytronic solder/desolder equipment, etc. Looking for some sort of hobby starter kit with perhaps some learning materials, example circuits, required components, stuff like that. Neither of my local RatShacks carry this kind of stuff. I'd like to have the components used in the material included so I don't have to reuse old resistors and caps off Western Digital XT controller cards anymore :).

Does Digikey or someone offer such a kit? I browsed but didn't see anything, thought maybe [H] crew could make some recommendations. If they come in multiple levels I'd like to start at the bottom and actually 'learn' the right way instead of just clueless tinkering.

thanks

I've built a few Velleman kits in my time and they are very good.

You can build some really useful things from their kits.

I'd look at the 300 in 1 kit. There's also a microcontroller w/ lcd version 500 in 1 version as well. These are nice learning foundations because the guide books run through the theory of circuit operation (most kits are just assembly instructions). They include all the parts you will need (discrete resistors, ics, transistors, etc), and unlike the smaller versions these two have breadboards rather than all spring mounted compnents. You might be able to find slightly better prices if you Google around, many places sell them. The 300-1 version is plenty good for electronics if you don't want the lcd stuff, in fact there might be better learning platforms for that anyway (stamp. avr etc.).

Radio Shack used to carry these, but they're going down the tubes as far as electronics supply.

I started my hobby with an old 100 in 1 back in the 70's, and highly recommmend them. For learning, it's nice to have good tutorial projects, and beats a bare breadboard where you'll need additional books for projects and theory, and it's great knowing you have all the parts needed to complete the projects.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks guys, I think that combo is everything I'll need. now to get the company to pay for it... :)

Back