Recommendations for gaming monitor

masterosok

Gawd
I am planning to upgrade my video card after the new iteration of cards come out hopefully in Feb. and figured its probably a good idea to go ahead and get a new monitor since the one I have is quite old. I can't stand tearing so I currently play all games with v-sync enabled and its starting to get annoying on a 60hz monitor. I'm not really looking for top of the line but I would like to get something that is at least 120hz. I don't plan on getting any type of SLI/Crossfire setup as my budget for the cards will likely be in the 300-400 range. I am probably going set my budget for a monitor at 200-300. I currently game at 1920 x 1200 and don't have a problem staying with that (or 1900 x 1080) however if the newer single gpu cards are able to handle higher resolutions with all the settings maxed (unlikely) then I wouldn't be opposed to getting something with a higher resolution. I wouldn't want anything smaller than 24in.

Let me know what you recommend or if even a recommendation could be made before the cards are released.

My current hardware is listed in my signature.

The ROG Swift is the best gaming monitor available today. You need an Nvidia card to really take advantage of it, though.

if you are going for a single card and is tired of 60hz, you should probably stick with 1080p 120hz. So start looking there. Though most of the newer models are 1440p, you'd have to look at some of the older models (unless you plan on playing current and future games on medium).

It seems from what I gather the most popular models in my price range are these

BenQ XL2420Z

ASUS VG248QE

Philips 242G5DJEB

AOC G2460PQU

Can anyone that has any of these monitors let me know which they prefer. Are there any others out there that are better options?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
XL2411Z - I can give you profiles.

vg248qe is just bad

Is there any specific reason to go with the XL2411Z over the XL2420Z with the XL2420Z being 9 bucks cheaper on Amazon?

Seems like the XL2420Z is the same monitor with a few more features and inputs.

Edit: NVM... Amazon is OOS on the XL2411Z and some other seller is selling it for 60 bucks more than Amazon charges.

I won't need the extra inputs so I'll probably get the XL2411Z since its cheaper. Hopefully Amazon will restock it as I will likely have Amazon gift cards to use to buy it after xmas and and upcoming birthday.

Last edited:
I just purchased the XL2411Z from Amazon. I don't need it immediately so I can just wait for them to restock. I had about $178 dollars worth of reward points on one of my CCs so I was able to get it for $92 shipped.

I have the ROG Swift and VG248 and I really like both. The VG248 needs to be calibrated but I just used a quick and dirty profile and it looks great now.

Seems like the XL2420Z is the same monitor with a few more features and inputs.

The XL2420Z has better colour presets and contrast once set up properly (Review 1 & Review 2) . The XL series comes set to the horrible FPS mode and needs to be switched to the Standard mode which unlocks most of the colour controls. (XL2411Z Review)

PS: If you had Google'd reviews instead of making a thread and posting Amazon links you would have found this information on your own...

The VG248 needs to be calibrated but I just used a quick and dirty profile and it looks great now.

Using someone elses ICC profile ≠ calibration and the VG248QE's lightboost mode is still horrible once calibrated due to very low contrast, plus it uses PWM Dimming.

The XL2420Z has better colour presets and contrast once set up properly (Review 1 & Review 2) . The XL series comes set to the horrible FPS mode and needs to be switched to the Standard mode which unlocks most of the colour controls. (XL2411Z Review)

PS: If you had Google'd reviews instead of making a thread and posting Amazon links you would have found this information on your own...

No, I did google those two monitors specifically, and did not find that information.
Don't be so uptight.

Many say the BenQ 144Hz gaming monitors are much better than the VG248QE but since I don't own any of the BenQs and have never seen any in person, I can't compare them but personally I am not bothered by the Asus's poor image quality. Honestly if you looking for a 144Hz TN gaming monitor then should you really be concerned about image quality in the first place? The reason for getting one of these is for the responsiveness and motion clarity, not image quality. At the end of the day they are all still going to be TN panels and lacking in image quality when compared to other displays anyway...So I say just get whichever one you can find for the lowest price available unless you are REALLY bothered by PWM then avoid the Asus.

Many say the BenQ 144Hz gaming monitors are much better than the VG248QE but since I don't own any of the BenQs and have never seen any in person, I can't compare them but personally I am not bothered by the Asus's poor image quality. Honestly if you looking for a 144Hz TN gaming monitor then should you really be concerned about image quality in the first place? The reason for getting one of these is for the responsiveness and motion clarity, not image quality. At the end of the day they are all still going to be TN panels and lacking in image quality when compared to other displays anyway...So I say just get whichever one you can find for the lowest price available unless you are REALLY bothered by PWM then avoid the Asus.

400:1 contrast, man? :rolleyes:

400:1 contrast, man? :rolleyes:

Yes it's bad but are the other monitors going to be THAT much better? The only monitor I can think of that would be a huge improvement would be the Eizo Foris FG2421 with it's VA panel but it's way too expensive + quality control issues

Yes it's bad but are the other monitors going to be THAT much better? The only monitor I can think of that would be a huge improvement would be the Eizo Foris FG2421 with it's VA panel but it's way too expensive + quality control issues

800:1 on my benq, that's double!!
FG gets 5k:1

No, I did google those two monitors specifically, and did not find that information.
Don't be so uptight.

Digital Versus reviews are the 3rd and 4th result when searching for "BenQ XL2411Z/XL2420Z Review."

Using someone elses ICC profile ≠ calibration and the VG248QE's lightboost mode is still horrible once calibrated due to very low contrast, plus it uses PWM Dimming.

I pretty sure the idea behind this entire board is for people to share information with others. I do know for sure that being an ass isn't the purpose. If you don't agree with people asking for advice I don't think HF is for you. I did research the monitors and didn't happen to find this information either.

Last edited:
If you are considering CRTs, I'd try to find a used FW900, which supports resolutions such as: 1280x800@140Hz, 1920x1200@96Hz, or 2560x1600@72Hz. If you don't have the space for a CRT, I'd get a VG248QE, which is fixed 1920x1080@120Hz. The FW900 will have much better overall quality, but the VG248QE will be much smaller. For the FW900, you will need to install your resolutions with CRU or nVidia Control Panel. The VG248QE will need to have ToastyX strobelight software installed in order to not have severe motion blur.

I personally got a Qnix Qx2710, (Single Input Only, DVI-D) It's a 27 inch 1440p monitor that can be OC'ed above 60hz. It's about $330 right now, I got mine for $320. It's not bad if you want something with a higher resolution.

I personally got a Qnix Qx2710, (Single Input Only, DVI-D) It's a 27 inch 1440p monitor that can be OC'ed above 60hz. It's about $330 right now, I got mine for $320. It's not bad if you want something with a higher resolution.

It is better to get a VG248QE if you want a LCD. Overclocking ruins the panel's color so that it isn't much better than a TN, but the VG248QE has backlight strobing, so motion is not a blurry mess, like on most LCDs.

If you are considering CRTs, I'd try to find a used FW900, which supports resolutions such as: 1280x800@140Hz, 1920x1200@96Hz, or 2560x1600@72Hz. If you don't have the space for a CRT, I'd get a VG248QE, which is fixed 1920x1080@120Hz. The FW900 will have much better overall quality, but the VG248QE will be much smaller. For the FW900, you will need to install your resolutions with CRU or nVidia Control Panel. The VG248QE will need to have ToastyX strobelight software installed in order to not have severe motion blur.

I don't play many FPS games and the ones I do I don't play MP so a CRT is really something I would be interested in. I decided on the BenQ XL2411Z as from what I have researched its a better unit than the VG248QE.

1440p is gonna be a little too much for the GPU I'll end up getting. I think sticking with 1080p will allow me to run my games at decent frames with all the eye candy turn on. I don't plan on getting a multiple GPU configuration. Plus I am more interested in the high refresh rate units.

Thanks for all the suggestion!

I don't play many FPS games and the ones I do I don't play MP so a CRT is really something I would be interested in. I decided on the BenQ XL2411Z as from what I have researched its a better unit than the VG248QE.

Remember to enable strobing on the BenQ monitor.

I pretty sure the idea behind this entire board is for people to share information with others. I do know for sure that being an ass isn't the purpose. If you don't agree with people asking for advice I don't think HF is for you. I did research the monitors and didn't happen to find this information either.

Except someone has to find that information, and there seems to be an influx of long time [H] members into the Display section who refuse to do so, hence making the suggestion to search for reviews instead of searching for Amazon links.

It's not too late to cancel your XL2411Z order and buy the superior XL2420Z.

Last edited:
Except someone has to find that information, and there seems to be an influx of long time [H] members into the Display section who refuse to do so, hence making the suggestion to search for reviews instead of searching for Amazon links.

You are/were planning on reviewing the BenQ XL2420G if I read correctly in another thread, yes?

I'm *guessing* it's going to essentially be the XL2420Z with Gsync on it.

When do you figure you will have something up about that? I'm eager to see your findings.

1.) You are/were planning on reviewing the BenQ XL2420G if I read correctly in another thread, yes?

2.) When do you figure you will have something up about that? I'm eager to see your findings.

1.) Yes
2.) It's supposed to arrive today, so probably within the next 5-8 hours

Certainly but doing so in an extremely douchey manner isn't necessary and is probably hindering your cause.

I owned both BenQz and Asus model. From my experience, I would prefer the BenQ over the Asus due to better color and smoother gaming.

Back