Recommendation on Pair of Routers for Wireless Bridge

mda

2[H]4U
Hello all,

Looking to create a wireless bridge between two buildings.

I have measured their distances and these are 12 meters apart. Wiring CAT5E/6 isn't really an option right now, since I'd have to go around the lot perimeter and I'd easily exceed the 100 meter limit. Fiber cable is also not an option (residential buildings)

I currently have a wireless N 300 2.4ghz access point at the exact location where I want to setup the first bridge, and standing at the point where I need to have the other bridge set up, I get about 25/25 upstream/downstream via a speedtest (my internet is 50 mbps up/down).

I'm looking to pickup a pair of 5ghz AC routers and set these up in a wireless bridge so the other building can get some sort of connectivity. Was thinking of picking up a pair of Asus RT-AC68Us or 87/88Us for this purpose. Would you guys have any other recommendation? What kind of network bandwidth should I theoretically be seeing? I have no experience in this whatsoever. My goal if possible is to have the link to as close to gigabit speeds for network transfer (if possible).

Can anyone chime in on this?

Thanks!

Since this would be a point to point bridge, I'd look for something with directional antennas. UBNT would be a really good option. Although you may not really need directional antennas at that distance, it could help make it more consistent and reliable, esp if you plan to do 5ghz.

What kind of bandwidth should I expect from the nanostations?

Currently, the setup would theoretically looks like this:
Unit#1 --> Windows (with metallic Tint) --> open air (12meters) --> cement wall --> Unit#2
Elevation is roughly the same and no other obstructions.

Is 5ghz up for the job?

Should I be considering just the nanostations or some other UBNT products? I'm looking for the best possible bandwidth for the same price. I can go as high as 200-300$ per device but lower is better since I will be shelling out the cash. :D

Too bad I didn't get the ER5PoE. I only have the ER3 Lite

Thanks for the feedback!

Edit: I read that the NSM5 Nanostation can do 150+Mbps at a range of 15+ km. Does this mean that I can expect gigabit speeds at 15meters?
Edit2: Further research that even the highest grade 5+ghz nanostations only comes with a 10/100 Mbps ethernet port. Bummer. Any options for closer-to-gigabit speeds, or am I wanting the impossible?

Edit3: Looking now at two of these:
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RP-AC68U/
5GHz connection from Unit 1 to Unit 2.
2.4ghz from each unit at different channels.
Based on some reviews, the extra ac streams improve performance to 200-300Mbps between devices. Still far from gigabit though. Can't beat wired.

Last edited:
NSM5 does maximum 300Mbit and the LAN port is 10/100 so the maximum throughput would be 100Mbit, with an distance of 15m, i would epect that you would do 100Mb without any problems.

Yes. Trying to see if I can do higher than 100mbps though for about the same price or for slightly higher.

That said, Im not sure if im searching for the impossible as well.

Back