Recommendation for Skt AM2 system

mwoodj

Weaksauce
I am starting to purchase parts for my AM2 system. I will be running a Gentoo Linux system compiled for 64-bit. All drives, sound, and case will be recycled from my current system. That leaves me purchasing memory, cpu, mobo, vid, and psu.

I have already purchased my memory and this is what I got:

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory Retail

This is what I intend to get for my CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 6000+ Socket AM2 Retail

This is what I intend to get for my GPU:

XFX GeForce 8600 GTS XXX 730M 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express Video Card w/Dual DVI Retail

This is what I intend to get for my PSU:

Thermaltake W0106RU Toughpower 700W Power Supply w/Active PFC Retail

If you know of that any of those parts can be replaced with something better for around the same price let me know (except for the memory.) The part that I am really having a hard time deciding on is the mobo. Here are two options I am looking at:

Asus M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition nForce 500 SLI Socket AM2 2000MHz DDR2-800 Motherboard Retail

Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE nForce 570 SLI Sempron/Athlon 64(FX)(X2) SktAM2 DDR2 ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail

These boards look good to me and I have had great experiences with Asus boards. But, I have been reading about people finding these boards to be unreliable. Most of these complaints seem to be in combination with Vista but I don't want to take any chances. I need a board that will allow me to upgrade to SLI in the future and it needs to be compatible with Linux (Gentoo). If anyone can make a good recommendation I would appreciate it.

Over the years, EPoX has made some excellent boards, but you will note that particular board is out of stock at NewEgg.

Also, EPoX went out of business this past April.

I would suggest going the Socket 775 route if possible. If not, then...

Grab one of the nForce590 SLI boards such as the eVGA, BFG or Foxconn. They all overclock well and can be found for under $100 today.

I would suggest Seasonic/Corsair or pretty much any brand other than Thermaltake for a power supply. You definitely don't need more than 500W for the parts in your list, unless you are running more than 4 hard drives or something along with it.

For $240 you might as well spend an extra $20 and get get the 8800GTS 320MB, which is head and shoulders better than any 8600 performance-wise.

I am pretty decided on the 6000+. Where is the 8800GTS available for the price you are mentioning?

Back