Recommendation for rack mounted 16-24 gigabit switch...

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Howdy!

Looking for recommendations for a 1U mounted gigabit managed (or semi managed - something that can do LAG/LACP and preferably VLANs) with at least 16 ports but up to 24...

This is for a home environment, btw, so nothing crazy :)

Thanks!

Haha nothing crazy, yet you want link aggregation :p

A Catalyst 3560g 24 port would probably be around $1800-$2000. What is your price range?

Just curious, whats your setup? why do you need gigabit link agg. in your home environment?

Pretty sure $2000 for a home router when there are $300-400 options pretty much qualifies as crazy, LAG isn't THAT crazy a feature, heck most broadcom based home routers with DD-WRT support LAG/LACP on 2 of the 4 LAN ports, which is kinda weird and somewhat pointless but still exists.

I don't know much about the HPs but the SG200 is a solid layer 2 choice but if you ever think you want to do more layer 3 things definitely check out the SG300's.

Thanks for the recommendations, gents! As for the need for LAG/LACP - I have a Xen box that hosts several VMs and they all get utilized pretty heavy. Right now I have a Netgear GS108T v2 that supports VLAN and LAG, but I ran out of ports and would rather have just one switch as opposed to 2... plus since I have a rack - rackmount would be awesome.

And no - $2K is just cray cray.. $2-300 is much more reasonable.

Used Dell 5224?

They're rack switches, not in just that they're rackmountable, but they also expect to be in a server room. They're not horribly loud, but they're noisy.

Another +1 for the Cisco SG300. I picked up the SG300-20 a few days ago, it has the best features for the price point.

I have been using the NETGEAR GS724T 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch for about 2 years.
(Actually got that suggestion from the The Router Recommendations Thread years ago)
I saw 2 on ebay last week for $50

Not sure if it meets all your specs but you can look it up and see.

Haha nothing crazy, yet you want link aggregation :p

A Catalyst 3560g 24 port would probably be around $1800-$2000. What is your price range?

Just curious, whats your setup? why do you need gigabit link agg. in your home environment?

Netgear, HP ProCurve, Dell PowerConnect, etc... can all be had brand new for less than $400 for 24 port models with .3ad protocols.

If you want to have one of the absolute best layer 2 you need to get ready to hit your bid button in the last 1-3 seconds on Ebay and score a beautiful

Cisco 2960g-24TC-L you might be able to pull one for $700.00 which is an absolute STEAL.

I have been using the NETGEAR GS724T 24-port Gigabit Smart Switch for about 2 years.
(Actually got that suggestion from the The Router Recommendations Thread years ago)
I saw 2 on ebay last week for $50

Not sure if it meets all your specs but you can look it up and see.

I too can recommend the Netgear GS family of switches. My work is using them almost exclusively now, they are really quite good.

Yeah the GS switch I have now has done its job fairly well... I'll take a look at the upper models too.. :D

HP 1810-24g here, I have it mostly because its fanless but still has limited management features, doesn't seem like sound is a major concern for you tho?

Used Dell 5224?

They're rack switches, not in just that they're rackmountable, but they also expect to be in a server room. They're not horribly loud, but they're noisy.

5224s are a bit old. I might look to the 5400 line

I'm not a fan of the Netgear GS line (at least the smaller units 5-8 port) if you use them heavily. We've got around 100 of them deployed and lose at least 1-2 a month. Sometimes (if we're lucky) they just die, other times they freak out and break a network segment until we track it down. Our network is rather large and busy where the bulk of them are deployed (one broadcast domain has ~400-500 IP devices at times). We're moving to all HP 1810-8G's (as they fail) because the misery when a GS fails ungracefully is not worth it.

Cisco small business is nice too. Give them a look. They are a few hundred and rumor on the street that they are now starting to be managed by a light customized version of IOS like commands. IOS CLI imo is so much faster, smoother, and easier to use than a GUI.

Used Dell 5224?

I beg to differ, I have 2 of them. Both are EXTREMELY loud.

I'm not a fan of the Netgear GS line (at least the smaller units 5-8 port) if you use them heavily. We've got around 100 of them deployed and lose at least 1-2 a month. Sometimes (if we're lucky) they just die, other times they freak out and break a network segment until we track it down. Our network is rather large and busy where the bulk of them are deployed (one broadcast domain has ~400-500 IP devices at times). We're moving to all HP 1810-8G's (as they fail) because the misery when a GS fails ungracefully is not worth it.

Interesting, as I had a HP Procurve freak out on the amount of traffic I was sending across it (24port managed gigabit, forget the exact model expensive though) I tried everything to get it to work, brand new out of the box, nothing worked.. I swapped in a $300 (at the time) GS724 and it is still humming along happily..

Interesting, as I had a HP Procurve freak out on the amount of traffic I was sending across it (24port managed gigabit, forget the exact model expensive though) I tried everything to get it to work, brand new out of the box, nothing worked.. I swapped in a $300 (at the time) GS724 and it is still humming along happily..

Well, the only thing I can suggest is that you might have had a 3com model, by all accounts, they're crap. The HP models are rather good. We use 1810's as our break out switches from our core(s), and were using the Netgears at desks who needed more than one link. We've had one 1810 fail in the last two years out of about 30 deployed. We have more like 15-20% failure/year on the 100+ Netgear GS's.

My office uses HP switches from top to Bottom. and out of the 30 or so switches, we've had 2 failures in the past year, and they both just went lights out. HP replaced both switches via next day air.

Back