Recommendation for point and shoot camera, ,200$

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, a friend of mine is going to France in 2 weeks for school and me and 6 friends are going to replace her camera. We're putting in about 20-30 bucks and looking for a decent deal. I found a deal on the Coolpix s560 with a memory card and case on Costoco.com that I was gonna bite on, but some reviews for the s560 claimed poor picture quality, so now I'm really questioning that choice.

Don't want to go over 200, 180 would be a fine price point. I think she wanted a Nikon Coolpix or something pretty similar (slim, good preview scene, good picture quality, good battery life, decent but no superfluous options).

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

cannon 880is, I got a refurb on egay for $160...but since ken rockwell recommends it the price has gone up to $500 new....good luck.

Canon SD1200 IS. It's the newest version of their SD1000 series. The entire series has always had good reviews and seems to be at the top for your price range. It's easy to carry and takes a nice video. I had a friend take his sd1100 on a month long trip last year and after looking at the pictures when we got back, I sold my Olympus and bought a Canon. I went with the SD 780IS because it had high def video but the lowest price on it is about 210 right now.

Canon SD1200 IS. It's the newest version of their SD1000 series. The entire series has always had good reviews and seems to be at the top for your price range. It's easy to carry and takes a nice video. I had a friend take his sd1100 on a month long trip last year and after looking at the pictures when we got back, I sold my Olympus and bought a Canon. I went with the SD 780IS because it had high def video but the lowest price on it is about 210 right now.

+1. I have the SD1000 and it is a great little point and shoot. My wife and I recently bought the SD1200 for a friend. You can get the silver model for $180 on Amazon. Dell was selling it for about $114 the other day.... a real steal. The camera is small but not tiny, has a viewfinder (which I really like, but doesn't seem to matter to a lot of people), nice video and great image quality.

This review will give you a good idea of what the camera is all about:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_reviews/canon_sd1200is.html

Thanks for the replies peeps. I was pretty sold on the SD1200, and was probably going to get it today, but a frantic text message came in at 2am last night saying that her mom had already bought her a camera and zomg we're screwed blah blah blah.

Well, anyway, turns out she also needed an external hard drive, so we got a 250gb fujitsu for 69.99 (yay tax free!) and just gonna give her the difference in cash.

Thanks again for the replies!

Back