Recommendation for DVD and water cooling

I have a couple 3080s and 3090s I installed waterblocks on that I have been using for mining. It was quite the beast of a contraption I built, using a fountain pump, heat exchanger and then swimming pool water to cool everything. Well, that was that and now eth mining is done and I am left with a few cards with full cover waterblocks. So, I figure I may as well use one in my machine in a couple weeks...they are paid for after all and better than what I've got. I've never built a real custom loop before other than the afore mentioned beast, so I'm working at getting my ducks in a row.

I run a 5800x but who knows, that may be a 5900x or 5950x someday.

Then, I have a cooler master N400. From what I have been reading, while the specs say it can fit a radiator, reality says otherwise. Soo, guess step one is a new case.

The tricky bit here....I still use a DVD drive for extracting DVDs for my EMBY machine, so for my set-up, I still require at least one full sized 5.25 drive. Then, as I rip, i do rip them onto a 3.5in spinning drive before I upload them to the EMBY box.

Any recomendations out there for a good case that still has a 5.25in drive bay??

Thanks-

I just picked one of these up full tower
Core V71

Attachments

• 21EB0274-E968-4032-98D1-D57B778E0CEB.jpeg
    21EB0274-E968-4032-98D1-D57B778E0CEB.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 0
Phanteks , otherwise get an external enclosure for the DVD, that's what I did.

Phanteks , otherwise get an external enclosure for the DVD, that's what I did.
I was looking at that one or maybe the antec dp502 flux. I like how on a phantec it can be plain jane, no clear panel. Just a computer...no bling.

Phanteks has the best cases to build in I've come across for water cooling cable management.
Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass

I've been reading about them for the past hour trying to figure them out. I figure for the 3090 I need at least a 240mm rad based on what LTT tested a year or so ago. Then the CPU is going to need another 120mm at least. Throw in 120mm for safety/quiteness, etc, and I'd need to have at least double 240s.

It looks like I can get a single 240 up top while still having the DVD. Then I can get another 240 in front, but I think I'd need to remove the hdd drive cages. Does that sound accurate?

id probably just get a usb dvdrw. It honestly will make it simpler I think.

DVD extraction seems to digest portable drives. I've gone through two already. The internal I have just seems to chug along.

If you don't mind bigass super towers the thermaltake x71 will house pretty much anything wcing along with your dvd drive no problemo.

RE: Enthoo Luxe. I use a 280 up top in pull and a 240 up front in push/pull and use a Monsoon Dual Bay D5 which still leave room for a optical drive. Never any woories about heat. The cooler they run the longer they last.
My rig sig below I use an external Nova 1080 with disconnects but my other Luxe is mentioned above. Both cool CPU and GPU. All overclocked and Gaming CPUs barely hit 60c and GPUs 42c

Last edited:
I've been reading about them for the past hour trying to figure them out. I figure for the 3090 I need at least a 240mm rad based on what LTT tested a year or so ago. Then the CPU is going to need another 120mm at least. Throw in 120mm for safety/quiteness, etc, and I'd need to have at least double 240s.

It looks like I can get a single 240 up top while still having the DVD. Then I can get another 240 in front, but I think I'd need to remove the hdd drive cages. Does that sound accurate?

DVD extraction seems to digest portable drives. I've gone through two already. The internal I have just seems to chug along.
they make USB 5-1/4 external cases you can pop a DVD into. I had my friend get one when I upgraded his case to one that didn't have drive bays.
I can't remember which one I had my friend get but it's just like this,
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3-BK-NexStar-External-Enclosure/dp/B01MRUN0HQ

1662966929698.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Good Luck with the build post some pics :D
I'm not sure anyone will want to see it. I'm more concerned with function than looks....

And it is more of a remodel I suppose....

The one that will really be interesting is my son's. When I pieced it together, I grabbed an old atx case from 2012 from the waste bin at work. The price was right...I actually grabbed two. One is my emby box and it has a big rack for muliple hard drives, which is great when I have five drives. But it is totally a generic black case that has a 120mm fan mount in the rear and I think an 80mm in the front with a top mounted PSU. It can hold up to a 11in GPU....woooooooooo. But here is the kicker....for some reason, he just loves that thing. Won't let it get upgraded. I figure I can drill out a bunch of holes in the top and mount a 20mm thick 240mm rad. The top mounted PSU means I won't crowd badly on the MB. It'll have to crowd into one of the 5.25 bays, but that's ok. We don't use it. I just hope a 240mm will handle a 3080. I'd love to throw the 3600xt on the loop too, but that may be asking too much.

I once mounted a 360 rad with a radbox off the the rear of the case at the 120 rear mounted fan worked a treat with a couple holes for tubing. ;)

1002860u.jpg

I almost have everything...

Turns out planning to use my mining GPUs for rigs makes sense....dang it has tanked.

RE: Enthoo Luxe. I use a 280 up top in pull and a 240 up front in push/pull and use a Monsoon Dual Bay D5 which still leave room for a optical drive. Never any woories about heat. The cooler they run the longer they last.
My rig sig below I use an external Nova 1080 with disconnects but my other Luxe is mentioned above. Both cool CPU and GPU. All overclocked and Gaming CPUs barely hit 60c and GPUs 42c

For more reference, I have the Arctic Cooling Liguid Freezer II 420mm AIO mounted in the top of my Luxe TG and also have a BR/DVD drive in there as well.

Back