Recommendation for 5.25" Backplane with 4 or 5 Slots

vanZonker

n00b
Hello,

I'm currently assembling my next workstation. Part of it shall be 5.25" SATA backplanes that I want to attach to an LSI 9361 raid card.

Which backplanes are currently recommendable? Norco 500 are not easy to get in my region here. My current favorit is the Icy Dock MB454SPF-B, but I'm concerned about the fan noise and buzzing noise. Any experience with these here?

Recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks for your suggestion, I checked reviews for this backplane and sounds promising. Will now watch out for local resellers.

BUT, I read on newegg multiple times about slow downs of data transfer spped when multiple drives are in the bays!? Is this a common issue of this backplane model or are these individual issues?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In our region we can get the CSE-M35TQB for approx 120.00€.
Main difference between CSE-M35TQB and CSE-M35T-1B seems to be the LED for Drive failures, that the TQB has built in.

Main difference between CSE-M35TQB and CSE-M35T-1B seems to be the LED for Drive failures, that the TQB has built in.

Yea, from what I can see the TQB has a proper SAS backplane with SES-2, whereas the -1B is just a simple SATA version.

Yea, from what I can see the TQB has a proper SAS backplane with SES-2, whereas the -1B is just a simple SATA version.

Well, I did order this evening the Supermicro CSE-M35TQB. Will take some days for delivery and I'm preparing myself to replace the fan also, but from the hardware characteristics it looked great.

Will report here, once received and built into my case.

Well, I did order this evening the Supermicro CSE-M35TQB. Will take some days for delivery and I'm preparing myself to replace the fan also, but from the hardware characteristics it looked great.

If you want to use failure leds (hopefully you will never see them) - remember to check the jumpers. By default TQB uses i2c to control failure leds. Rejumpering to SGPIO takes 5-10mins tops.

Received it yet?

Received yes, but not yet built into. Currently a lot of traveling because of the job, but I hope to find some time tomorrow.

Okay, this weekened I finally found time to assemble the CSE-M35TQB into my new case together with the LSI 9361-8i. In principle it works fine, some details I still have to figure out.

I bought the Kit of LSI 9361. So cables were in the box and the look pretty solid. Connecting was easy.

The default 92mm fan of the CSE-M35TQB is far too loud for home or office use. No way using this near you're sitting. I did replace with a Noctua NF-B9 redux-1600 PWM. Simply remove the 4 screws and strongly push out the original fan. Four better cable routing through the plastic cavity I had to cut open the shrink sleeving.

Using the Noctua reduced noise level significantly. Without harddisks attached you can even here this one, but once harddisk are engaged, the harddisk will be louder than the Noctua.

We currently does not work:
The LED of the CSE-M35TQB mostly do not blink at all. Regardless of read/write access, spinning up or LED detection blinking initiated by LSI console. I think that can be resolved by setting some jumper for mode change on the backplane?!? Does anyone know details?

Best regards,
vanZonker

Back