Recommendation for 24+ port switch?

jmk396

Gawd
Can anybody recommend a 24+ port switch? I've been using a Dell PowerConnect 2824 and I think it's finally given up.

It's going to be used in my home network, but I want something managed that can be rackmounted.

I've never needed power over ethernet, but it seems that could be interesting so I'd love to get that built-in unless it's incredibly more expensive. (i.e. I can add modules to power raspberry pi's over ethernet and if I ever add home security cameras, etc)

Anybody have any suggestions? I'd probably be most comfortable using Cisco (or other "name-brand" or "high-end" stuff)

I'm looking at the Cisco SG200-26P, Ubiquity UniFi Switch and EdgeSwitch so far...

Depends how much you want to spend. I find the Dells are probably the cheapest if buying used and since that's what you had then you can just reload the config from your backups and be on your way. You can get a gigabit 24 port Dell for a bit over $100 used.

I would not worry about getting POE, it seems manufacturers of POE devices can't bother to stick to the 48v standard so you end up having to use their injectors anyway. Though it depends what you plan to use it for, it's definitely something nice to have if you think you'll use devices that will run on 48v.

If you don't need Poe I really like the HP procurves. You can get a 16-24 port gig L3 switch for really reasonable prices.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I've decided to not worry about PoE since I have no devices right now and PoE injectors seem to be cheap enough.

What are you thoughts on the Ubiquity EdgeSwitch Lite? (ES-48-LITE-US)

Wow are all those ports actually gigabit on that Zyxel? I've never seen a 24 port (let alone 48) managed gigabit switch new, for under a grand before. That does seem like a very good deal.

I have a SG200-26P, works really well. I was not a huge fan of the webUI at first, more comfortable in an IOS CLI, but it has grown on me.

Well, I hope I made a good decision but I went with the EdgeSwitch 48 Lite.

The Zyxel wasn't that much cheaper...

Hopefully I made a good decision :)

Back