Recommendation for 2.0 speakers with headphone jack/amp under $150?

jmk396

Gawd
I'm looking for a simple (and small) pair of powered 2.0 speakers with a headphone jack for around $100 - $150.

Can anybody give me any suggestions?

I don't have room for a subwoofer and I don't want a seperate amplifier box but I don't need the best speakers either...

god I can't believe I'm doing this... and I am prepared for the possible dog piling that may result

i listend to these at bb a bit ago... and they aren't my favorite thing ever but they actually didn't sound bad.. and they are pretty compact and have a headphone jack

sooo...reluctantly :rolleyes:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_018COM...edia-speaker-system.html#customer-reviews-tab

if just to avoid the "shame" of bose i'd maybe ponder these (over budget by $50) also.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_772A2B...revp=2&ipp=20&revsort=dr#customer-reviews-tab

or if it was me my preference would be be T-amp plus small bookshelf speakers

(vintage Realistic minimus 7s or 77s pretty easy to find on ebay about $50~ish) and t-amp $25~ for the famous Lepai or $ more for something nicer like topping , dayton DTA-100a or in my case I have a SMSL SA-S3 ($60 shipped from china) so yeah it was much more than the lepai but the build quality was much better and it came with a 4A liteon power adapter (ul listed) and can take banana plugs..

here is my smallish t-amp desktop action .. SMSL SA-S3 w/ Polk T-15 bookshelf speakers

deskcpn.jpg

god I can't believe I'm doing this... and I am prepared for the possible dog piling that may result

i listend to these at bb a bit ago... and they aren't my favorite thing ever but they actually didn't sound bad.. and they are pretty compact and have a headphone jack

sooo...reluctantly :rolleyes:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_018COM...edia-speaker-system.html#customer-reviews-tab

if just to avoid the "shame" of bose i'd maybe ponder these (over budget by $50) also.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_772A2B...revp=2&ipp=20&revsort=dr#customer-reviews-tab

or if it was me my preference would be be T-amp plus small bookshelf speakers

(vintage Realistic minimus 7s or 77s pretty easy to find on ebay about $50~ish) and t-amp $25~ for the famous Lepai or $ more for something nicer like topping , dayton DTA-100a or in my case I have a SMSL SA-S3 ($60 shipped from china) so yeah it was much more than the lepai but the build quality was much better and it came with a 4A liteon power adapter (ul listed) and can take banana plugs..

here is my smallish t-amp desktop action .. SMSL SA-S3 w/ Polk T-15 bookshelf speakers

deskcpn.jpg

You know what? I was going to recommend that too but I dont want to get bashed. I actually tried them also while I was poking around at a local BB. I was surprised. They actually sound good. I don't know what kind of sorcery is it but I just cant recommend Bose. :D

You know what? I was going to recommend that too but I dont want to get bashed. I actually tried them also while I was poking around at a local BB. I was surprised. They actually sound good. I don't know what kind of sorcery is it but I just cant recommend Bose. :D

lol.... I was sort of furious when those bose speakers didn't sound like the tinny ass i thought they would :D

I wouldn't ditch my t-amp / bookshelf speakers for them but they sound pretty good for being as small as they are and for being bose ...

it is indeed.. It is the WASD V1 mx-brown (with .2mm dampers) my wife got me for xmas..and it is just a Delight... I love this thing very much.

My brother loves his, and I have been fighting the urge to order one myself. I just wish they offered the Cherry reds. I saw the dampers, but when in reality they are nothing more than hardware store o-rings. I'm going to source my own and see how if I prefer it with them or without. Definitely a kick ass keyboard for the money.

My brother loves his, and I have been fighting the urge to order one myself. I just wish they offered the Cherry reds. I saw the dampers, but when in reality they are nothing more than hardware store o-rings. I'm going to source my own and see how if I prefer it with them or without. Definitely a kick ass keyboard for the money.

while we are getting fairly far of the op's topic (sorry op) I got these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XWXCE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for my Rosewill RK-9000RE mx-red (that i paid $24.99 insane combo deal on newegg) it took about an hour .... quite honestly if i was wanting a WASD and dampers I'd probably have them put the dampers on for the rather reasonable $20 some fee just figuring my time is worth it and all.

Oh and WASD is apparently not restocking V1's at this point as they are getting the V2 ready...so they have apparently sold out of the reds.. but once the v2 is avail they should have reds again I would think.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure if it would work for you but Im selling an Auzentech Bravura Sound card for 75$. Headphone amp is fairly strong in it. Then you just need some decent speakers for 75$ to stay in your price range.

it is indeed.. It is the WASD V1 mx-brown (with .2mm dampers) my wife got me for xmas..and it is just a Delight... I love this thing very much.

Very nice WASD.. running Blacks with the dampers on mine :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am running AV40s.. great little speakers... I had a sub running with these and they were awesome.. amp on the sub gave out one day :(

Which sub? I've been looking at getting one, but I have a feeling all the ones I've been looking at that have great reviews would overpower the AV40s (then again, it might've been because I was oogling $300 subs to pair with $150 speakers >_>)

Which sub? I've been looking at getting one, but I have a feeling all the ones I've been looking at that have great reviews would overpower the AV40s (then again, it might've been because I was oogling $300 subs to pair with $150 speakers >_>)

No b/c subs have volume controls too. You balance the subs output to the speakers. You can do that in windows too.

BIC Acoustech Venturi 10" I believe was the model. I used my sound card to cut the bass at 80hz to the AV40s which allowed them to play louder and stay cleaner. Just gave up my AV40s for some Klipsch 4.1 speakers using only as a 2.1.. they are more fun but the AV40's had an overall better sound.

Back