Recommend some Good Story Driven Single Player FPS games?

Is that sarcasm? Because I don't see many FPS in your list.

Sarcasm comments aside, the list is pretty sound. There are a few 3rd person games in it, but also plenty of FPS. (some are RPG Lite as well, but I'd still list them here if we're also listing the Shock games for example)

So, I finished every Wolfenstein game currently released. They were a little over-simplistic, but I still enjoyed the story,

After completing New Colossus, I decided that maybe it was time to try Doom. I had been avoiding it for some time, as I was convinced that I'd just be disappointed by the early 90's game modes and their lack of depth. This was accurate. Doom bores the shit out of me, The story is almost non-existant, exactly what would be expected if you grew up on the original ID Software titles like I did. Great for 1993. Not so much for 2018.

One thing that surprised me was this. The music sounded remarkably similar between Wolfenstein and Doom. Sure. Wolfenstein was more metal, Doom was less so, but still, the same chord progressions and the same tone.

New Colossus:

Doom:

Turns out they are written by the same person, Mick Gordon.

Last edited:
So, I finished every Wittgenstein game currently released. They were a little over-simplistic, but I still enjoyed the story,

After completing New Colossus, I decided that maybe it was time to try Doom. I had been avoiding it for some time, as I was convinced that I'd just be disappointed by the early 90's game modes and their lack of depth. This was accurate. Doom bores the shit out of me, The story is almost non-existant, exactly what would be expected if you grew up on th eoriginal ID Software titles like I did. Great for 1993. Not so much for 2018.

One thing that surprised me was this. The music sounded remarkably similar between Wolfenstein and Doom. Sure. Wolfenstein was more metal, Doom was less so, but still, the same chord progressions and the same tone.

New Colossus:

Doom:

Turns out they are written by the same person, Mick Gordon.

They took the Metroid Prime approach to story telling in Doom (actually, I feel the entire game aside from the connected world was inspire by the Metroid Prime series). Read the codex for additional story details. In my opinion it did a great job of telling the story they wanted through the gameplay. I mean, unless you believe story is cutscenes ("in-engine" or otherwise), in which case I think a movie would be more appropriate.

NOLF 1 and 2 were probably the best "story-driven" FPS titles ever created in my opinion. Soooo good. Even if it wasn't so funny, it would have still been among the best FPSs ever made. It's a sin this series didn't continue, especially considering the other mediocre FPS games out there that have had 10 sequels.

AvP 2 is reasonably good, but it's a different beast to Isolation altogether. If I had to choose, I'd give the nod to Isolation.

NoLF and NoLF 2 is available via...

http://nolfrevival.tk/

The reasoning for this website is hilarious and I think everyone should support it. TLDR; It's an effort to force the copyright owners to settle their ownership, thus being able to officially re-release it. So, it's for a good cause.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
They took the Metroid Prime approach to story telling in Doom (actually, I feel the entire game aside from the connected world was inspire by the Metroid Prime series). Read the codex for additional story details. In my opinion it did a great job of telling the story they wanted through the gameplay. I mean, unless you believe story is cutscenes ("in-engine" or otherwise), in which case I think a movie would be more appropriate.

I guess its not really my style.

I will say that I am pretty damned impressed with the performance though.

With every single custom setting in the advanced menu maxed out, it never drops below 60fps at 4k on my overclocked pascal Titan X on water. And its not because the graphics look old or dated.

This is pretty damned rare. Maybe it has to do with Vulcan?

This is pretty damned rare. Maybe it has to do with Vulcan?

It is rare, and it would be a huge selling point if that were the case- but it's more just id.

The new Doom game is the best 'feeling' game I've witnessed in quite some time. Not only are the graphics smooth, but the responsiveness likely couldn't get any better.

However, now that id is a Bethesda property, I hope they use that engine for everything now!

It is rare, and it would be a huge selling point if that were the case- but it's more just id.

The new Doom game is the best 'feeling' game I've witnessed in quite some time. Not only are the graphics smooth, but the responsiveness likely couldn't get any better.

However, now that id is a Bethesda property, I hope they use that engine for everything now!

I wonder if its the same engine Machine games used for Wolfenstein...

Something about it felt similar. Not quite as smooth though.

It's pretty easy to spot an id Tech engine. I don't know if it's actually the engine itself, the sorts of effects it lends itself well too, or just the similar styles of art and design like minded studios adopt. It's usually pretty apparent though. Especially between id and its close affiliates like Machine and formerly Raven. I say this a lot, but the lighting, the types of HUGE machinery they include in the levels, etc. all blends to give a very id-like experience. I hope RAGE 2 includes a lot of that. It won't be on id Tech, but I'm hoping it's still got those styles of design elements. That heavy industrial sort of thing. The original RAGE had plenty of that, so hopefully they take some cues.

I can see id games not being for everyone. Me personally, I like my shooters raw, precise, fast, violent, and industrial. They deliver every time. Sure I occasionally like a blended genre like Borderlands, or something that requires a bit more thought like the Shock games, (System especially) but sometimes I want to shut that off, and just plunge head first into something that's almost entirely reflex based, where the controls are instantly transparent and responsive, with a nice dark and over the top feel. Can't get any better than id there.

Back