Recommend PCIe SATA card for Windows 7

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Bilge, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Bilge

Bilge n00bie

I just bought two 6TB SATA drives but they're not recognized by my motherboard so I've decided to invest in an "HBA", or PCIe SATA controller card.

There seems to be a lot of hype about LSI but they don't seem widely available outside the US and their website (www.broadcom.com) doesn't seem to have any drivers or information for any of their older (more affordable) products. Of those they do still support, they only list compatibility with Windows 8 an up, so not sure if I'll have compatibility issues anyway. That said, I'm open to any brand of PCIe card for my two SATA drives; preferably with a little future expansion possibility.

2. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 2[H]4U

3. Bilge

Bilge n00bie

Is LSI really a good card for Windows or is it just hype if you happen to be using Linux?

4. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 2[H]4U

I used to use a 9211-8i for years, can't say I had any issues with it. It's mainly one of those "set it and forget it" components. Never had any issues with it in Windows even after doing a few firmware updates.

5. Bilge

Bilge n00bie

Do you still need to do that "IT mode" flash if you're using Windows or is that only a Unix thing? I don't really understand the purported benefits.

6. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 2[H]4U

If you only want to run your devices as a JBOD, then IT mode is recommended. If you want to use the RAID features provided by the HBA then stick with IR mode (which I think is what it comes as).

Quoting someone else on a different forum:

7. Bilge

Bilge n00bie

Thanks Snowknight, that's very helpful. Clearly I can just use the regular firmware, although I don't really understand why so many people are buying a RAID controller and disabling its RAID functionality, unless software RAID is all the rage now.

8. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 2[H]4U

Don't quote me on this, but because they're reliable and a cheap way of pooling a large number of drives. Using the IT firmware is the only way of being able to "pass-through" the device.