Recommend New Laptop 1800$ CND

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have about 1800CND with tax to spend on a new laptop. I am looking for something around 14.1'' screen that can handle some gaming (lotro, source games, CoH, FO3) I understand that they will not be maxed out. It needs to have some processing power as I do some hydraulic modlelling and GIS work with it. I would like to keep the weight below ~5lb. Battery life is important but anything with about 3hr (general) would be fine. I would be interested in a small SSD hard drive as well.

I do not want a Dell or an HP (my last HP wireless card died after 1.5 years and the battery life is crap). I have been looking at the Lonovo Thinkpad T400 series, but am unsure if there are any other laptops to look at.

Last edited:
Anything worthwhile for some gaming would be 15.4+ inch screen, because they have to fit in the graphics cards.

I would honestly try finding something with a mobile ATi 4850 or 260m.

I don't think you'll be too pleased with a 3470 gpu. I know I wouldn't.

Those look awesome, but I think they are a bit out of my price range as it looks to be in US dollars not CND. I need something that is portable but can play games. Games do not have to run great just run well (med settings).

Those look awesome, but I think they are a bit out of my price range as it looks to be in US dollars not CND. I need something that is portable but can play games. Games do not have to run great just run well (med settings).

Then you'll want a 260m or better.

I mean, it will get 2 hours battery life. If you need more than that, well..... I would look elsewhere.

Because you won't get gaming/highly-portable. I mean, it's portable in the sense it's easy to move, but that's about it.

The ASUS N81VP-D1 looks like it should fit the bill and I think I can get an SSD for it. Has anyone reviewed this computer yet? So far I have not found a review. Also, how is ASUS as a company?

Hi,

I have about 1800CND ...

I do not want a Dell or an HP (my last HP wireless card died after 1.5 years and the battery life is crap). I have been looking at the Lonovo Thinkpad T400 series, but am unsure if there are any other laptops to look at.

I was going to recommend

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/14/hp-envy-15-spotted-looking-pretty-real/

but you had a bad experience with a notebook, and are swearing off anything that company makes in all product lines for all time. Good news is there is still alot of other competition out there.

If I were you I would wait till the windows 7 notebook lineups hit from the vendors, that is probably going to be a major push from all of them in terms of newer better hardware, like the one linked with the core i7. If you can live with a 16" you could go here

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/09/asus_m60j_notebook.html

whatever you do, if you can, WAIT till after the windows 7 launch notebooks hit, you will get better hardware options.

that envy is pretty much everything you want though, pity.

I wish I could wait until win7, however, the government is buying this one so I have to spend it before my school term is up. 16 is just too large for me. I have a gamming rig at home, I just need one for when I am travelling for school and work. Currently I am playing on a HP tx1220ca tablet PC and it does not do that well.

Why do people insist of putting the dollar sign after the number like this -> 1500$ - I hate to tell you but in the english language that's WRONG. its $1500.

Why do people insist of putting the dollar sign after the number like this -> 1500$ - I hate to tell you but in the english language that's WRONG. its $1500.

To distinguish from USD vs CDN. :rolleyes:

I have decided to get the Asus N81VP-D1, but I am going to upgrade the HD to a OCZ Vertex 120BG SSD. Thanks for all the input. I might be posting again once the money comes in if something else is better in a month or so but I doubt much will change

Back