Recommend me some speakers.

yes..in the future 5.1 is a definite..but for now since my budget is limited 2.1 will have to do..but i would like to keep whichever reciever i buy(if i end up buying one) for the future

Then probably go with XR57 + Dayton + whatever's left on the best sats you can find, then come back later and upgrade 'em.

how does this sound..

XR57
dayton 10
behringer ms20

comes out to 481...i'll most likely just have to add an extra 50-60 for shipping

The bonus to the Behringers is the integrated DAC, which is redundant if you have the XR57. So are powered speakers - the amp in the XR57 will do a better job anyway.

Even at the current price, the Insignias might be worth getting. 6 1/2" woofers are tricky to find on cheap bookshelf speakers.

Maybe they'll have better ideas for ~$100/pair passive bookshelf monitors tomorrow? Dunno. Polk and Insignia were an almost automatic response to that question a while ago, but the Polks are dependent on when Outpost (Fry's) has stock and the Insignias got a price hike.

I'd go with one set plus a sub, but I prioritize music which is stereo. Much better bass, or surround - that's the sort of decision that's entirely up to preference. Either way...another $100 upgrade later is pretty minor. I might go with the sub first just because its pricing is sale-dependent - even if they have that sale very often.

I was at Best Buy last weekend and the insignias were on sale for ~$65 I almost picked up a pair just to see how they sound. I don't know if that was a weekend only sale or if it still might be going on in store.

Hey I own a pair of the Logitech 5500 series they sound wonderful i need a great sound instead of the onboard one on my Asus I have a Creative soundblaster live 5.1 live but does not sound good on my Vista os.:)

That will be solid.

thanks..where do you think i should put the insignias? desk is quite small :(
2vuek5y.jpg

get another desk. they will fit in the same spot as you current speakers but NO WAY will that be a good spot. If nothing else, put the insignias behind you so that they are more at ear level and further away. otherwise, gets some headphones man.

i'm running into dilemma..after dilemma lol..i will buy another desk though..when i get the next desk..i should put the speakers on each side of the monitor correct?

You want to get some decent separation between the channels. I think something around 60 degrees apart and at least a few feet from your head?

Sounds good..i would like to thank everyone for their advice on a setup..esp ashmedai...

lol

cool. remember, it only gets better but what you are getting should last a looong time.

I could wait it out a couple of weeks and have an extra 200 to play with..but i could just use that 200 on another set of bookshelfs correct? or would be smarter to save?

save

you want $300 for some bad ass speakers or $200 and $100 for a new desk lol.

$300/pair monitors will sound better than the Insignias...it depends on your priority. Better SQ now, or surround now?

OR

Get a pair of USHER S-520s, BI-Wire them to the XR-57 and get a better subwoofer. I had the same setup and was grinning a lot when listening to it.

Can't believe i came in here with a 250 dollar budget..now its 700 lol..those are nice..but what are the chances of finding a used pair? and i still need a reciever...and a sub..

when you say bi wire..do you mean bridge?

no. bi-wire is powering the highs and lows separate. the USher s-520s and the Xr-57 is the cheapest way of achieving this. Result is negotiable but I found it LIVELY as all get out.

You can certainly find the Ushers used for $300 on audiogon, the XR-57 you might have to buy new at $250 or so. That only leaves $150 for a sub but a 10 or 12 inch dayton is still a sweet kicker.

How does that work with connecting up the amplification stage? Hook 'em both up to the same source and let the crossover circuits sort it out?

I see a bunch of listings in the 300-330 area..how are the lower end ascend acoustics? specifically the CBM-170 SE

and this is how you bi-wire correct?
how-to-bi-wire-speakers-2.gif

Seems pretty easy..which brings my next question and something i forgot to add in..speaker wire..does it really make a difference what kind i buy?

Yes and yes the ascends are right decent speakers. I just REALLY dug the S-520 plus xr-57 sound. REALLY dug it.

anti cable is bitching but too much $$ for you maybe.anti cable is what I will use with my big rig though.

18 gauge is nice. Thicker (lower number) gauge if you have particularly long runs. Other than that, not really.

I used a stripped extension cord for a while. No real difference in the result (note that not all extension cords come in a respectable gauge).

Back