Recommend me some speakers for the office!

Doward

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so my Z-5500 is just overkill in my new office. Mainly, the subwoofer has nowhere to go lol.

I'm looking for a good quality 2.1 or 5.1 system with a small(ish) subwoofer that will fit under my desk. See attached for the space in question (that's a Mac Pro 4,1 for comparison).

So I'm looking for 8" wide maximum for the subwoofer.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG1098.jpg
    IMAG1098.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Oh, you meant the entire sub enclosure? My bad, then. I thought you meant a sub with 8" woofer. I don't know if there's a sub as small as you want.

Get a really good set of speakers and you don't really need a sub...~$200 for a set of Audio Engine A2+ if you need smaller speakers, or A5+ if you have the desk space.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
NHT Superzero 2.1s with a small T amp is also an option. They are sealed so you don't have to worry about placement, and are going for about $140/pair on Amazon right now.

The G3s are $1800/pair, aren't they? At that price I would favor a passive speaker with RAAL tweeters, like Ascend Sierra 2/Luna, or something from Philharmonic or Salk sound with the RAAL 70-10 or 70-20.

Those Gelenecs are nice and rugged in terms of build quality but the sound is way too honky for me for long term listening.

Last edited:
The Genelecs do not sound honky except for the smallest models. The G three is the minimum I would take. They're perfect also for near field listening which passive hi-fi speakers are not designed for (or can not due to passive filtering).

For near field the studio models like the 8030 would be even better.

That 1800,- isn't that much after you consider you can skip buying an amplifier and don't need the space for one either.

If money is scarce there are active monitors from Adam audio, JBL and Behringer which yield good results at a fraction of the price. Passive speakers are best used on mid to far field listening.

ATC makes professional studio monitors and they are passive.

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/professional/

My speakers are ATC and I use them as computer monitors with no issues.

Sure you can make all sorts of things. The passive electronics show up in the 10° vertical coherence. You need 24db/oct Linkwitz-Riley to get proper vertical coherence. This means that these monitors need to be at your ear level to sound balanced.

Also all but two smallest models are bi/tri-amp powered.

The Genelecs do not sound honky except for the smallest models. The G three is the minimum I would take. They're perfect also for near field listening which passive hi-fi speakers are not designed for (or can not due to passive filtering).

For near field the studio models like the 8030 would be even better.

That 1800,- isn't that much after you consider you can skip buying an amplifier and don't need the space for one either.

If money is scarce there are active monitors from Adam audio, JBL and Behringer which yield good results at a fraction of the price. Passive speakers are best used on mid to far field listening.

Are 5-inch speakers from Genelec G series enough for using without a subwoofer?

I am asking that because I had read you saying the minimum size of woofer you recommend for stereo monitors are 8-inch, with exceptions like JBL LSR305 and others such.

Are 5-inch speakers from Genelec G series enough for using without a subwoofer?

I am asking that because I had read you saying the minimum size of woofer you recommend for stereo monitors are 8-inch, with exceptions like JBL LSR305 and others such.

The Genelecs and LSR305 put out impressive amounts of bass considering their size but most people would probably still want a subwoofer with them. The small driver size puts physical limitations that can't be overcome.

For music the 5" models are so and so bass wise but movies and game explosions? They're anemic compared to the larger models. Of course after hearing my 21" horn loaded subwoofer pretty much anything else sounds anemic! :D

The small size affects many things, not only the extension and amount of bass. The larger models have better directivity control and balance which makes them much more pleasant to listen to. Genelec had 3 of their models side by side at the Bonn hifi expo and they played them in series. The differences were clear - the small ones sounded ok. Middle ones sounded a bit better and the largest model was just overall the best of them. It gave human voices the richness and the body that were lacking from the smaller ones.

Last edited:
This year I upgraded my sound on the computer and got the ASUS Essence STX II and a set of powered audioengine 5+ desktop speakers and then added a self powered SVS SB1000 subwoffer tagged up with some quality RCA cables and I want to say that I am very impressed with the quality and volume you can attain. Nothing short of Great!

Honestly, just pick up a set of Swan M10 speakers and call it a day. I don't think you will be disappointed.

If size is a major consideration, my favorite small monitors are the iLoud monitors or Vanatoo T0. If it isn't, well then we have to start talking budget and signal chain.

I really wouldn't bother with a sub for near field if you pick something up that can hit below 50hz. We don't all need home theater rumble, though for mixing getting down to 30hz is nice so you can work with a five string bass.

For simplicity I'm becoming a fan of the Edifier sets w/ integrated Bluetooth and optical DACs, so maybe take a gander at those too.

What good are speakers in the office if they don't eventually degrade concrete walls?

Back