Recommend me some hardware

vapb400

Gawd
Hey guys, I work at a heating/AC company. We currently have 2 servers, one running windows 2003 (2.8P4, 2GB Ram-file server) the other running unix (833mhz, 512MB Ram-for our management system). Those are networked with 15 (All 2.8P4, 512MB Ram) computers, and I am happy with that network. Right now we have DSL through Verizon (768kbps). We are just about ready to host our website off our windows 2003 server, it will used for webhosting, file sharing, and an exchange server. We are also about to kick off a very large 2nd business, that unfortuneatly I can't ellaborate about. It will be heavily tech based. We are looking at having a good connection (at least T1). That connection would be split between our 2 current servers, and our 15 computers as well as 2-3 new servers.

Well now down to my real question. We currently have a generator, lots of space, and all the cooling supplies you could dream of, and I was thinking of starting a smallish web hosting business. What would be a good way to go about doing that, I would obviously need a few more servers and a beefier connection than the planned T1, but what would you suggest. I imagine it coming to the building>modem>router then from there it would be our corporate network, our 2nd business network, and then our web hosting business. For the webhosting business I was thinking it would come from the router to a switch, and then be distributed to several servers (hoping to grow over time). What equipment do you reccomend to tackle this task, money is not a particular issue but needs to be reasonable. I need to know what type of switch, router, connection, and other stuff I would need to look into.

Thanks

I was looking at Dual Opteron systems, are they good for web hosting? or would dual Xeons be better?

well i wouldn't host the website on your network. I mean host packages are so cheap now days why even go through all the hassle and security measures to host it on a T1? I mean you'll get better bandwidth and the site will probably be more secure. I would just do the exchange box if you want or you could use the e-mail provided by the hosting company if you don't mind pop3.

Back