Recommend me some computer parts for a computer under $400

AcidicRage

Limp Gawd
This computer will be for heavy study usage, and maybe light gaming... I already have: the HD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, Windows XP, printer/monitor. I think what I need is: motherboard (w/ LAN & onboard sound), CPU (preferrably a cheap Athlon or a CPU/mobo combo might be cheaper?), Case, RAM, PSU, DVD-RW (or CD-RW), Graphics Card..... I think. $400 is my budget!

I hope you mean by light gaming nes emulators. :D

I would save my money and spend a little more to get better quality components. With 400 you will be buying cheapo parts and the last thing you need if you are short on cash is for your computer to go up in smoke, literally.

if your price is that low, just buy a low end dell. You can at least get a good warraty with that.

Mikhailtech Basic System Guide

They aim for $400 in their guide. And since you already have a HDD, you can go for a better case/psu (quality PSU being more important), faster CPU (maybe Sempron 64), or better memory (although the PQI they recommend would probably suffice for a non-overclocked system).

Don't forget to check FS/FT forum if you don't mind some used parts. For example, used 9700Pros are typically reasonably priced. Good luck!

Back