Recommend me some 48p gigabit PoE switches

Protoform-X

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently changed jobs and am now supporting a small(but rapidly growing) environment as follows:

35 PoE phones with a switchport going to a workstation
8 PoE cameras
7 servers(2 NICs each with link aggregation)
Various racked network hardware

I currently have an Enterasys 10/100 48p PoE switch powering all of the PoE devices, but the switch is getting old and I'd like to start converting over to pure gigabit. There's also an HP Procurve 2810-48G that all of the servers and other racked network hardware are plugged into. That switch is fine, but doesn't have PoE, so its uses are limited to the rack.

Just a few other things to keep in mind... Whomever setup this network failed to separate the voice and data traffic into their own VLANs + QoS, so that needs to be done as well. Expandability is key as the company is growing at a rapid pace- Stacking is certainly desirable, but not an absolute requirement.

I'd like to keep the price point bellow $2000 if I can get a good product. Cisco would be cool, but the price point is way too high for the features that I need. Any great recommendations? Here's some that I've been looking at:

Cisco SGE2010P
Netgear GS748TPS

Do the phones even have gigabit ports/switch built into them?

I'd get a separate 10/100 switch for the phones as 100mbps is probably more then enough for individual phones, so at least that would free up a lot of ports on whatever new switch you decide to go with.

Dell Powerconnect

The layer 2 48-port starts at $900 If you need layer 3 that's about $2500

Don't forget that on the powerconnects you need a second power supply to get POE on all 48 ports, if you don't get it, you will only have POE on the first 24.

I have used the Dell's and HP's and they are both great, dell is cheaper and has a crappy warranty

Don't forget that on the powerconnects you need a second power supply to get POE on all 48 ports, if you don't get it, you will only have POE on the first 24.

I have used the Dell's and HP's and they are both great, dell is cheaper and has a crappy warranty

Um..... are you sure? I have 3548p's and 6248p's all over the place and most of then are full of POE phones / waps.

Um..... are you sure? I have 3548p's and 6248p's all over the place and most of then are full of POE phones / waps.

Maybe for some models, i forget what models i have deployed, and wouldn't be able to check for awhile

I know some requre it, but i guess others don't

We use Nortel 5520s stacked for all our edge switches. They are L3 capable if you need, stackable (up to 8), and half the cost of the Cisco equivalent.

Do the phones even have gigabit ports/switch built into them?

About half of them do. They'll eventually all be replaced by gigabit models.

I considered the Dell switches, but I think you've quoted a 10/100 switch, not a gigabit switch, StarTrek4U. The gigabit switch is quite a bit more money, but does have layer 3... Hmm. I have a friend who's running a few 6248p's, so I'll give him a call and see what he thinks of them.

Any thoughts on the Netgear unit that I linked in the original post? I've had success with their products in the past, but haven't used them in a while. The price is much lower than the other switches and has all of the features that I was looking for including stacking.

The gigabit switch is quite a bit more money, but does have layer 3... Hmm. I have a friend who's running a few 6248p's, so I'll give him a call and see what he thinks of them.

If you need some more opinions on the 6248ps PM me and I can give you more details about ours. We are also going to invest in 2 more of them to stack in our data center as our core

We've been risking it and getting used Brocade / Foundry FGS648P-PoE switches from eBay and Townsend Networks. They are impressive switches (some even come with the full layer 3 software package) @ around $1200 for 48 port Gigabit PoE.

In the past we were putting a HP 2810-24G and a 2610-24-PoE switch wherever we needed both gigabit and PoE for phones, but these makes things a little easier if we only need lets say 8 PoE and 30 Gigabit ports.

We wanted to do all Procurve everywhere but a 3500yl is like $5000. I know the new 2510G series are out but I am waiting to see what happens with the 3com merger before we buy any more Procurve switches that are PoE.

Yes there is a risk with a used switch that only has a 1 year warranty from the seller, but so far for us it has been worth it. I can get 4 - 48 port PoE Gigabit $1200 switches for the same price 1 new 3500yl (or similar) and keep one as a hot spare.

I would not recommend deploying anything used though in a mission critical application. All of these are being used in places where they can be down while a replacement is sourced

We've been risking it and getting used Brocade / Foundry FGS648P-PoE switches from eBay and Townsend Networks. They are impressive switches (some even come with the full layer 3 software package) @ around $1200 for 48 port Gigabit PoE.

In the past we were putting a HP 2810-24G and a 2610-24-PoE switch wherever we needed both gigabit and PoE for phones, but these makes things a little easier if we only need lets say 8 PoE and 30 Gigabit ports.

We wanted to do all Procurve everywhere but a 3500yl is like $5000. I know the new 2510G series are out but I am waiting to see what happens with the 3com merger before we buy any more Procurve switches that are PoE.

Yes there is a risk with a used switch that only has a 1 year warranty from the seller, but so far for us it has been worth it. I can get 4 - 48 port PoE Gigabit $1200 switches for the same price 1 new 3500yl (or similar) and keep one as a hot spare.

I would not recommend deploying anything used though in a mission critical application. All of these are being used in places where they can be down while a replacement is sourced

Did you build your own pbx server for your poe voip phones ?

Nope. We are using an NEC SV8300 and still have yet to put the phones on their own VLAN.

I know I know, I suck.

We use cisco 3750s and 2960s. The 2960s are considerably cheaper.

I wouldn't mind trying the powerconnect stuff but we're a cisco shop due to higher level decisions.

We use the Cisco 3750-E switches with great results. A little out of your price range though.

Back