Recommend me an SSD for <$120

Zoogle

Gawd
Shopping for an SSD to throw into the laptop. Capacity isn't a big issue since it's not going to hold any files other than spreadsheets, pdfs, and docs along with a few programs. I figure at that price range I'm looking at 32-60GB. All SSD's seem similar to me though so I'm having a tough time finding the best one.

Intel X25-V 40GB

$125 most places but I'm certain its worth it.

Cool I've give both of those a look. Any big advantage of the X-25V over the Onyx? How are these drives in terms of usable capacity (after formatting and stuff)?

There's also the 32GB Corsair Nova that I found for 80. How would that compare to the Onyx?

Last edited:
x25-v is faster and 10GB more usable disk space.

can't suggest the nova at that price point x25-v is better deal.

The 60GB Agility pops up at that price AR every couple of weeks.

I've been happy with mine.

x25-v is faster at small random writes than the indilinx based drives.
the nova uses faster flash, so its faster than the onyx, iirc.
agility1 60gb has been seen as low as $105 AR, btw.

personally, i didn't see a huge difference in everyday usage (web browsing with 40+ tabs, word documentation, excel spreadsheets, pdf files, itunes, hd streaming from web, etc) between my kingston 40gb (x25-v rebrand) and my old vertex 30gb. both of which were found rather cheap, $75 no rebate and $85 after $30MIR, respectively.

Yeah, if you can get the Agility, jump on it - I have had no issues with mine, and it's very fast for a "budget" drive.

Otherwise, get the Intel. Trying to do anything with 32GB (while leaving at least %20 free) is a painful endeavor.

Thanks for the great advice guys. I think I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for deals on either the Intel or the Agility. Shame on me for not knowing about the Fry's deal on the Intel two weeks back :(.

Onyx is quite slow. I'd say X25-V. Though I got a 30GB Vertex for like $75 or something a few months ago.

Back