Recommend me an MMO

Frosteh

2[H]4U
I realised today that I'm getting sick of most online play now, I had a long run over the last few days of TF2 online (due to having this week off work) and while I love the game I cannot stand the daily bullshit that goes along with it, primarily the lack of any team balance, lack of team mates that actually know what they're doing, lack of the ability to make a difference to the outcome of the game despite being about 2 or 3 times better than most of the other players.

I really like coop games, I see left 4 dead really being up my ally, but thats not out yet, and well coop games get boring quite fast because the limited maps get played to death. And I rememberd my time with WoW and getting my character upto level 48 which was good fun for the most part but a bit too much of a grind by that point.

Anyway something just sorta snapped, I just cannot justify how stressed I get with games like TF2, CS:S, DOD:S, no matter how fun they are there's always something that eventually just bugs the crap out of me, usualy bad luck, spam, and just getting stuck on team retard for what seems to be the millionth time. Don't get me wrong theres nothing better than being on a good team in a team based FPS but that seems so rare now a days,

So I'm looking for an MMO to take up my gaming time, I doubt I'll go back to WoW, I really liked Planetside when that was out but wont go back to that in the state it's in now. Eve seems like it should appeal to me the way its designed but I've just read too much bad about it to give that a go, besides I'm not too into the futuristic space genre. I took a quick peek at LOTRO and I'm not especially into the books and only watched the movies for the war scenes, the game looked kinda boring.

So what else is there? Lots im sure but can anyone make any personal recommendations for MMO's, ones that are particuarly good, I've never kept up with MMO's so I'm basically in the stone age here.

Thanks for any input.

MMOs, despite getting tons of attention lately, are still in pretty bad shape imo. War and Conan aren't released yet, and don't look particularly promising. I would recommend EvE, although the skillups are a big barrier to entry imo.

WoW's a dead end. I wouldn't go back either. I've heard good things about EQ2, and how it's been greatly improved, but I have no first hand experience there.

You could try Fury. Again though, I don't have first hand experience with this, so you'd have to try the demo.

I applied for the Warhammer beta and didn't hear back, Age of conan looks alright but isn't out yet.

I will check out EQII, I've seens bits and bobs before but never really took a good look. I had a quick peek at the Lineage 2 website earlier as I was in the beta for that a long while ago now, and remember liking it at the time.

What's Fury?

if you don't want to grind, don't play MMOs, its that simple the ENTIRE concept of an MMO is to grind. If they didn't have grinding there would be no game. You kill things, you get a reward with which to better kill things for better rewards. The end game is really no different. You kill epic things to get more epic stuff etc.

Unfortunately its sort of the reality of the MMO situation.

if you don't want to grind, don't play MMOs, its that simple the ENTIRE concept of an MMO is to grind. If they didn't have grinding there would be no game. You kill things, you get a reward with which to better kill things for better rewards. The end game is really no different. You kill epic things to get more epic stuff etc.

Unfortunately its sort of the reality of the MMO situation.

That's the definition WoW has stamped onto MMOs. It's not like that, good MMOs are about being apart of a big community of people. These loot based MMOs will always be a dead end. The only ones that never end are the ones that don't base the end game around getting more stuff. Look at SWG before it turned to shit. That was all about being part of a town and a faction. All player dependent.

But like everyone else has said, no really good MMOs out right now. I'm waiting for Age of Conan myself.

Linage 2 is an utter grind feast. .005% experience a kill anyone? And that's just after level 50. :rolleyes:

A vote for Everquest 2 here. Played WOW for a little over 2 years dropped it right before BC came out, doubtfull I'll ever go back. Tryed Vanguard, dropped it in less than a few months. In August I got a postcard from SOE thanking me for playing Vanguard, sorry to see you go yadda yadda yadda..... However, they said have we got a deal for you..... I got an invite for EQ2 free digital download, all expansions and adventure packs to try the game for free for a month and a half. I figured wth I got nothing to lose.

Much to my surprise I ended up having a blast with it and even switched over to a paying subscription when my free trial was over. I played EQ2 for 2 weeks when it first released and cancelled the account to play WOW. SOE has VERY MUCH improved the game from what it was at release. You might give it a look.

I feel your pain about online shooters, Frosteh. I have the exact same sentiments. Luckily I have a fairly large group of irl friends that also game - so I'm able to play these games with a talented crew. Right now we're having a blast on the TF2 TWL ladder. While at the same time, pubbing in TF2 is frustrating and pointless. As such, my TF2 time has dropped way off.

As for MMO's, they're much more relaxing, but you gotta find a good group of people to play with. But I'm pretty sure you know how to game and you're not a complete asshat, so I doubt that would be a problem.

I would try LOTRO. I watched a buddy play it for awhile and it looks really sweet. The combat system is much more involved than WoW's. I put 3 years into WoW in a raiding guild, so I've had my fill of MMO's for a long, long time. They're just far too demanding on my time.

Thanks for the info, I will check out EQ2, and probably avoid lineage2, especially since its now so old.

TCOS looks neat, I will try and get into the beta for that I think.

Make the gameplay fun and then "grinding" = "playing". There are games that had me playing them for /years/, and they weren't even MMOs, no persistent stats. CS for example, started the same way everytime, but I played for 7 years due to all the updates since beta 1, the gameplay kept getting tweaked and expanded around that fun core gameplay(There were fewer idiots too).

Those games lasted years because the core gameplay was fun, but there wasn't even progression in the game compelling me to continue to advance, same starting conditions for each session. And yet it held my interest.

Make an MMO where the gameplay itself is fun, and you're set. If they add on progression and persistent conditions as well, then that's just gravy. Certainly not impossible, just not enough experimentation due to the high barriers to entry (MMOs are a bit more complicated than regular multiplayer due to larger server setups, customer support, finance depts for suscriptions, ongoing ad campaigns post release, and continuing updates).

I don't like most MMOs, and if it doesn't make a big enough change I'm not going to sink MMO-class time into it. But I don't think the genre is dead to me, there is plenty of potential in it to bring me back. It's a fairly young form of entertainment and it has plenty of room to mature.

WOW ruined MMOs, imo.

We went from Kesmai, Realm, Everquest, UO, to WOW, WOWclone1, WOWclone2, WOWclone3.

TCOS looks pretty unique with its action based around skill rather than dice rolls on armour etc, trouble is will this be a popular combat system or not, despite extreme popularity being a bad thing for most games, I still want to feel that the world Im playing in is alive and thriving with many other players, often a problem for the EU servers due to lack of players.

EQ2 = Grind as well.

You dont want to grind? Dont play a damn mmo simple.

You want a true next generation MMORPG ?? That has no grinding and is NOT all about the epic gear and gaining 80 level's ??

This is the only MMORPG that will will kick ass, it comes out in a couple of months, been like six years in the making;
http://www.tcos.com/

Here is an interview about the game;
http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/13717

Thank you for this. I signed up for the beta.

To all playing EQ2 right now, how is PVP?

If anyone wants to try Fury I'll sell my copy for $40 shipped, send a PM :p

I would recommend EQ2 myself. would still be playing if it were not for fundage issues on my end.. :(

I didn't do any PVP, so I cant comment there. but I have tried wow, didn't like it, primarily due to the community.

Even tho I havn't played EQ2 in probably 6 months, but still keep in touch with my guildmates, as they are the real reason I played!

TCOS does look amazing with a special version of the Unreal engine used for this game, I have read the lighting effects are mind blowing never before seen in an MMORPG

check out these two live gameplay vid's;
http://video.web.de/watch/2214946
http://video.web.de/watch/2262158
http://www.mmorpg.com/gc-germany.cfm?ID=1107&SECTION=videos&bhcp=1

The game is supposed to be totally different than the WoW / EQII style combat, where TCOS uses real time combat no dice rolling, also a very strange thing this game will NOT have stats on armor or weapons, not sure why or what that will make the game like, but their big deal is to no have the grind in this game.

The last time I played TCOS, it seemed like the gameplay was far behind the videos they were giving out at the same time. The beta hasn't been running for 5 months or so, but I am hopeful it is a lot more enticing when it comes back.

Back