Recommend me a video Card

ben chi(f4)

2[H]4U
Right now I'm running 2600K stock with 8 gigs of ram. I'm using 460GTX SLI, i feel as though I could get more out of my system... any recommendations? 400.00 budget.

I went from a 480 to a 7970 and there was a significant improvement in fps and power.

I'd say a gtx670 is probably the best per dollar deal out there and I know you'd see a large performance increase because I didn't change my x6 1100t when I upgraded and I still saw a large improvement. The only difference is that that 2600k may be the bottleneck as far as gaming goes. Assuming you're gaming a lot.

However, that's ok, that just means when you upgrade your motherboard/cpu you'll unlock some of that extra gtx 470 power.

Last edited:
"May be" was the words I used.

Didn't look up the benchies for it but I do remember the 2600k is a bit better than the 1100t for gaming.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a bottleneck for the 670, however.

"May be" was the words I used.

Didn't look up the benchies for it but I do remember the 2600k is a bit better than the 1100t for gaming.

Doesn't mean it wouldn't be a bottleneck for the 670, however.

More like a LOT better. Most games are gpu, not cpu intensive. The 2600k most certainly isn't bottlenecking anything.

The 2600k won't be much of a bottleneck. I understand what you're saying though, there would be some improvement with an OC'd 2600k over stock. I totally agree with the GTX 670 being best bang for buck and think the author should consider it as long as he isn't doing OpenCL computing.

More like a LOT better. Most games are gpu, not cpu intensive. The 2600k most certainly isn't bottlenecking anything.

For anything but gaming the 2600k wins by a large margin but the fact of the matter is the 1100t's performance in gaming is rather good in comparison to the 2600k.

Anyone who says otherwise should post the benchmarks to prove otherwise and I'll be glad to consider it but now that I had a few minutes to remember I actually thought long and hard about getting a 2600k but the fact of the matter is all I do is game so I had to look up all the benchies and do a thorough study of the 2600k and I realized it's not at all a large increase in performance yet the price was much higher than the 1100t which is why I bought the 1100t in the end.

For anything but gaming the 2600k wins by a large margin but the fact of the matter is the 1100t's performance in gaming is rather good in comparison to the 2600k.

Anyone who says otherwise should post the benchmarks to prove otherwise and I'll be glad to consider it but now that I had a few minutes to remember I actually thought long and hard about getting a 2600k but the fact of the matter is all I do is game so I had to look up all the benchies and do a thorough study of the 2600k and I realized it's not at all a large increase in performance yet the price was much higher than the 1100t which is why I bought the 1100t in the end.

AMD delusions strike down yet another victim.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=287
the 1100T doesn't even remotely compare to the 2600k.

I bought two GTX 670s a couple of weeks ago.........they are crazy.:D

I also have a system with Crossfired 7970s, and the 670s go toe to toe and in some instances beat them down.

In Max Payne 3 the 670s are better by over 10% in my side to side comparison, running full out graphics in CF or Surround, 5760 x 1200, save for no HBAO and FXAA maximum rather than MSAA......for whatever that's worth to you.

I am very happy with these cards.

Also: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/01/03/intel_sandy_bridge_2600k_2500k_processors_review/4

I could see why you say it's not going to bottleneck.

Thanks for mentioning that. However, I still think the price was prohibitively expensive in comparison at the time. Something like double the expense for only a quarter more performance and that extra performance would have been nice but going from $350 for the 1100t & mobo to $700 for an intel mobo/2600k is a stretch. It is a good product though and I don't know what the price is now so it may be a good deal these days.

Something like double the expense for only a quarter more performance and that extra performance would have been nice but going from $350 for the 1100t & mobo to $700 for an intel mobo/2600k is a stretch. It is a good product though and I don't know what the price is now so it may be a good deal these days.

$700 for a 2600K + mobo combo??? Maybe you should change where you shop lol. It's more like $350 and was never close to twice as much as a 1100T.

Anyway on topic the GTX 670 is your best bet at $400, easily better than the 7950 at the same price point.

Right now I'm running 2600K stock with 8 gigs of ram. I'm using 460GTX SLI, i feel as though I could get more out of my system... any recommendations? 400.00 budget.

If you prefer Nvidia get the EVGA GTX 670 FTW for USD 420. uses the ref 680 PCB. good card. and EVGA customer support is very good.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Dual-Lin...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339427095&sr=1-1

otherwise you could consider getting the sapphire HD 7950 950 Mhz edition for USD 390. uses ref HD 7970 PCB. 8pin power and 6 pin power. you can find out more about the card here

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-PCI-...58P4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339427053&sr=8-3

user sonda5 got this card to 1200 Mhz at stock volts using sapphire trixx. he is currently at 1300 Mhz at 1.2V. fantastic overclocker. clock for clock HD 7950 is very close to HD 7970, maybe 3-5% slower. but costs much lesser.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1695577

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$700 for a 2600K + mobo combo??? Maybe you should change where you shop lol. It's more like $350 and was never close to twice as much as a 1100T.

Yep. The motherboard that I got with my 1100t would have been a $300-400 mobo if I paid for all the same features that I needed/wanted. This was when it was released and the cpu itself was expensive, too. I wouldn't buy a shitty motherboard with no features for a 2600k.

But yea back on topic. gtx 670 is the best way to go.

...400.00 budget.

Uncanny. It's almost as if you already knew which card everyone was going to suggest.

It's hard to recommend anything other than 670 right now, just because of the performance and efficiency of the card at <$400. Seeing as how 7950 is finally dropping in price, it would be a close second best choice, but still second nonetheless.

Try to OC the 2600k if you can (your mobo should be decent. Only running a stock heatsink? Pick up one of these to cool things decently during OC to remove any chance of bottleneck). Grab a GTX 670. Done.

Would be a little over $400, but well worth it. No need to worry about SLI/CF profiles / microstutter / etc.

Back