Recommend me a sub 1k Gaming PC build that can play games at 60fps at 1080p

Just what the title says. I don't do anything special like mining, programming, etc...

Just want a gaming PC that plays modern games and that will last me a good while.

Just what the title says. I don't do anything special like mining, programming, etc...

Just want a gaming PC that plays modern games and that will last me a good while.

If you can wait about one month, a Core i5 + Radeon RX 480 combo, combined with your choice of RAM, HDD, PSU, etc. should fit under $1k and give the performance that you're looking for. But if you want a specific build, we'll need to know what you need in terms of parts. New build from scratch? Already have a case? An OS? A capable PSU?

Going off just your current build, going with the i5, a capable mobo, 16GB DDR4, and the RX 480 should run you about $650 give or take.

If you just need an OEM system, get one of these and buy a GTX 970. Toss the GT 730 that comes with it.

XPS 8900 Desktop | Dell

Just get the $700 system. You may want to add more ram as well, but that's just 50 bucks to add another 16gb yourself.

Get this graphics card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 DirectX 12 04G-P4-3973-KR 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

Get this ram, and install it in the second set of slots to give you 24GB total:

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Memory Model BLS2K8G4D240FSB - Newegg.com

Enjoy your trouble-free computer for years.

Last edited:
As mentioned by Daniel_Chang, are you keeping any parts from your sig rig or doing a completed scratch build? I would sell of the mobo, cpu , ram and gpu from your sig rig and just do a platform shift. So you could get a skylake i5 , board, 16GB ddr4, new GPU.

example:

i5 6600k 235
Asus Z170-A mobo 135
GSkill ddr4 3200 2x8GB ram kit 72
sweet new GPU of your choice 350

Reuse your H100 cooler, case yadda yadda from your sig rig. 792 bux or so. Call it 850 with tax/ shipping to be safe.. You could always get on that AMD 480 card for 199 as sugested and shave 150. or put that 150 into the CPU and go nuts with the i7.

Anyway we need some more specifics to really help out.

Got lucky and was able to sell my old system. Went with the build in my specs and is just a little over 900 after sales tax. Went with intel this time as I was underwhelmed with AMD the last two times I tried them. Going to have to save up for a gpu, tempted to buy a used 970 but a 1070 would be a lot better. Will have to save up for a aftermarket cpu cooler as well.

Havent really looked into the 480

Looks very solid!

I moved from my Phenom 2 1090T box to my current sig rig set up. Also its the first Intel box I have ever built for myself having all AMD stuff for my personal systems previously. I did plenty of Core2 builds for buddies back in the day but was all AMD for me! Sadly there wasn't enough gains to be made going from AM3 to AM3+ so it was Haswell this go around. I have been very satisfied with it truth be told. Hopefully Zen is compelling and we get some other options sooner than later.

Glad to hear it worked out for you and good luck with the GPU search. I have seen 970s on Ebay for 240 shipped already so depending on how long you want to wait or what you are budgeting they may be 200 this Summer as the new cards from both camps roll out.

Cheers

Back