Recommend me a router with port translation

gangolfus

Gawd
I need a new router and I want to use port translation. I thought this would be fairly easy to find, but in my search I am only finding a few. Anyone have a recommendation?

-I don't need wireless as I have a separate AP
-I'd like an off the shelf device (eg, no pfsense)
-Only need 1 LAN port as I also have a 24-port gigabit switch
-I would consider a router running an open source firmware, but preference is set it and forget it

Any help is greatly appreciated

powertower

Limp Gawd
All 5 routers I've been through had this feature. Even my crappy 2wire that uverse forces me to use has it.

/usr/home

Supreme [H]ardness
How proficient are you at networking? A Mikrotik would work great for what you want to accomplish, but can be difficult to configure if you don't have strong networking skills.

gangolfus

Gawd
Connection is 10/2 DSL and will be for the foreseeable future.

I am a professional software engineer and worked in help desks in college, but networking is not my forte. I would say my skills are strong for a SOHO environment, but I would be in over my head at an enterprise level. I would be much more comfortable with something with a GUI than trying to futz with a command line.

Edit: I just went to Mikrotik's site and perused the RouterOS demo. I think it is slightly overkill for my purposes... far to many acronyms to lookup to get anything done. :p

Last edited:

diizzy

2[H]4U
Go with a TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 and load OpenWRT Trunk with LuCI or just stock firmware.
It'll serve you good up to ~170mbit/s and a lot of ram that'll come in handy if you do P2P and QoS.
If you want something cheap TL-WR842ND is a solid choice, it's quite a bit cheaper and uses of course less powerful but still good up to 50-60mbit. They're both using Atheros SoCs which also Mikrotik uses in their products FWIW.
//Danne