Recommend me a motherboard

jonwil

n00b
I am in the process of planning for an upgrade and need advice on what motherboard to get.
The CPU I have decided to get is a Core i5 6500.
Going to get 8GB of DDR4 as well.
Keeping my Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, 250GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO, 500GB internal SATA HDD and SATA DVD burner.

Looking for advice on what motherboard I should get to go with this combination.
I have been recommended a bunch of different boards by different people (and shops) and all this stuff about chipsets (B vs H vs Z vs whatever) and stuff is confusing me.
The boards I have been recommended so far:
Gigabyte H170M-D3H
ASUS H170M-E D3
ASUS Z170-P D3
ASUS H110M-A

In terms of motherboard features, I need Ethernet (doesn't need to be gigabit), enough SATA ports for my SSD, HDD and DVD, at least 5 USB ports on the back (for mouse, keyboard, printer and 2x external USB HDD), standard 2 channel audio (I only have a set of 2.1 Creative Labs speakers) and appropriate connections for front panel USB connectors

What I plan to use this system for:
Going to stick with Windows 7 if I can find a way to do it (I run software that may not work properly on Windows 8/10 and I dont want to take that risk)
Gaming (including Fallout 4 and the new Rollercoaster Tycoon World game)
Compiling large projects in Visual C++
Development work in a VMWare Linux VM

Can anyone help me through the maze of different motherboards, chipsets and other things and figure out what the right motherboard for my needs is? (and not the one that the particular salesperson wants me to buy :)

Oh also I intend to use the stock heatsink/fan combo (i.e. whatever Intel recommends for the 6500), no liquid cooling or overclocking or anything fancy like that.

Back