Recommend me a home server

I'm looking to setup a home server that will run Plex but also be able to run things such as my FTP server and say a SQL server so I can learn to work with databases for a project I want to create. Will have Windows installed. Not looking to spend more than $500. Would a i3 powered rig be more than enough? Thanks in advance.

Yes an i3 should be perfect even an older Athlon x4 will work just fine. Plex is fine as long as you don't run it wireless on a cellphone/tablet you need a powerful wireless for that and don't jump ahead in movies and you should be fine.

I ended up picking up an Acer with the i5 6400, 16gb ram, 96 M.2 SSD, 2tb WD Green drive, wife and bluetooth for $450.

I'm very happy with it. I have it stuffed with 18tb's right now, and planning on adding an external enclosure with another 20 here soon. I am definitely happy with the Acer. Nothing offered by Dell, Lenovo or HP came close to the specs for the same price.

I'm very happy with it. I have it stuffed with 18tb's right now, and planning on adding an external enclosure with another 20 here soon. I am definitely happy with the Acer. Nothing offered by Dell, Lenovo or HP came close to the specs for the same price.
That's true about Acer!

this is the weirdest thread i have seen in a long time.....

almost like bots or something

Rent a cheap VPS if that's all what you want it for- no need to buy a whole setup and pay for electricity.

Back