Recommend me a high end monitor

Limp Gawd
Hello brain trust! Can you please point me at a couple high end display options to consider?

I've got up to $3k in the budget for a new display. The primary intended use is for gaming, but I also do WFH on it 8 hours a day (spreadsheets, power point, video call presentations etc; typical corporate stuff).

I'd like something that has as few compromises as possible. I'm coming off an Acer XB270HU which is fine butdoesn't support HDR and is limited to 2560x1440. Likely i'd keep this Acer as a 2nd panel on the side.

I have a 3090, and tend to upgrade graphics cards yearly or every other year, so a 4k resolution is likely ideal to grow into (3090 can't push ALL games to max settings at 4k, but maybe future cards can). But my displays i tend to keep for 5+ years.

Any size/form factor is fine, I have lots of room in my office to move my desk, mount things on walls, or get a monitor arm and adjust desk/seating accordingly.

What should I be looking at? Thank you so much!

$3000?!

Just go all out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1621997-REG/lg_32ep950_b_32_oled_uhd_dci_p3.html?ap=y&smp=y

I feel that if you're looking for a monitor for differing purposes (in this case gaming and work), you have to make some compromises. Do you want a super fast response time and high refresh rate or would you rather have a better contrast ratio and exceptional color accuracy? Most monitors that claim to be both usually do one better over the other. IPS monitors are great for gaming (and probably the most common panel you'll find) and usually super fast but the contrast ratios leave a lot to be desired if you're watching videos, let alone doing anything creatively. The "HDR" on most IPS gaming monitors is mediocre at best in my experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Yeah, after doing some digging i'm ultimately left still slightly disappointed that there's not the option to buy something with no compromises (i thought surely there'd be some overpriced item you can pay through the nose for that checks all the boxes)
- I'd like something bigger than 30"
- I like the samsung neo G9, but scared of panel issues. (i'm also scared to go ultra widescreen, would be a pain to have multiple monitors... like physically it would be difficult to arrange them with arms/mounting, etc, i guess this can be overcome)
- Getting something with good HDR and high brightness would be superb
- I love the idea of an OLED like the LG panels or the gigabyte offerings, but general desktop use still sounds a little 'first gen' with it not being perfect for text/office work.

...well crap, as i type this out sounds like i need TWO high end panels, one for gaming and one for office work.

...Probably i need THREE high end monitors.

- One excellent display for office work where we don't care much about refresh rate
- One excellent ultra-widescreen display for gaming
- One excellent flat screen for gaming so we don't have to worry about screen format/ratios

and a host of servants to manipulate the displays on mounted arms to adjust each panel into my center of vision as it's needed.

Hopefully 2022 will bring us ever more and better displays. Happy holidays y'all!

My endgame display is the still $1600 LG 38GN950-B. Don't really care about HDR and 32:2 is far too wide. 3840x1600 @ 21:9 and 38" is perfect.

Just.. please come down in price. The Alienware is cheaper...hmm.

Back