Recommend me a device for dlna streaming.

Jaa-Yoo

Limp Gawd
So, im looking for a simple easy way to stream video (mostly mp4) to my samsung bluray player. Currently i use a usb hard drive, moving it between my pc and bluray player whenever i have new content i want to watch. I can share it directly from my pc but dont want it running all the time. All i want is some way to watch videos without having to move a drive back and forth and without having my pc on all the time to share. Is there anything under $200 that i can buy, plug in with minimal configuration and GO?
Thanks

have you looked at serviio at all? does transcoding, has built in profiles for most tv's/devices. it's free as well. install it on a network pc and go. you could build a cheap little HTPC and use that.

Install plex on your computer. Plex will stream dlna to just about anything and handle the transcoding.

As long as you have a good pc itll handle it just fine.

have you looked at serviio at all? does transcoding, has built in profiles for most tv's/devices. it's free as well. install it on a network pc and go. you could build a cheap little HTPC and use that.
I wanted to avoid the software route since it would require my pc to be on all the time, but i think i will have a look into it.
Install plex on your computer. Plex will stream dlna to just about anything and handle the transcoding.

As long as you have a good pc itll handle it just fine.
I'll give plex a try if serviio doesnt work for me.
another possibility is the G-box:

http://matricom.net/products/g-box-midnight-mx2

it's a little over $100 on Amazon

it's an Android based little box that you can connect to your TV via HDMI. It has several USB ports so that you can connect an USB external HD to it.
I actually own a g-box...its sitting in a closet collecting dust. :D I found that my samsung bluray htib played every file i had so i decided to reduce the amount of boxes living under my tv. I just want to pull media from storage that i dont have to physically move around.

Im gonna try the software route and see how it goes, thanks guys.

Just install minidlna on router and you're good to go? You'll need a firmware such as OpenWRT.
//Danne

If your not dead set on using the bluray player to play the video just get a wdtv live. It will play almost any file format directly from a network share no transcoding bs required. You shoudl be able to get one for under $100.

+1 wdtvlive, screw bluray players.

Or Roku 3 + plex is also a fantastic option (more involved.)

ps3 media server installed on my mule/storage box has worked like a champ for me.

I have a wdtv live in one of the bedrooms, (ive used wdtv media players for years) but man are they slow compared to newer players. Also, the samsung bluray player i have has so far played all the file formats i have.
Ive been using serviio with success for the past few days but i'll check out that minidlna as well, thanks.

I have a wdtv live in one of the bedrooms, (ive used wdtv media players for years) but man are they slow compared to newer players. Also, the samsung bluray player i have has so far played all the file formats i have.
Ive been using serviio with success for the past few days but i'll check out that minidlna as well, thanks.

The WDTVs DO work well but yeah they are terribly slow. That's why I upgraded to two Roku 3s and Plex and couldn't be happier.

I'm using Plex now with the firetv and it's so much faster than the WDTV.

But no IR remote means my Harmony One is now just another remote in the pile. Bastards

Back