Recommend me a C2D MB

I've had a little situation with my comp and im not sure if its my hdd or the board. if it turns out to be the board then its upgrade time for me

looking at a C2D E6600 or E6700

i currently have a 7800gtx512 and was thinking about going to a 8800gs but may just wait until the r600s are out. anyways back on topic...which c2d mb is best for my situation right now?

i will not be doing SLI or OC-ing. i have no ide/pata drives (all SATA for me). my video card is pci-e.

i was looking at the commando but it looks like that will be a little much for what i do. i also am a big fan of asus boards....they are expensive but they are very reliable and are high quality.

Welcome to my world. I'm in the same Situation as you although I have already chosen everything for the most part except the Motherboard. Still working on that one. I am currently leaning towards a 680i, but you are looking maybe for a Motherboard that would support Crossfire maybe? If so you might want to look at the Intel Bad Axe 2 or something based on a P965 Chipset. I heard of IDE issues with those boards but since you are all SATA, maybe that wouldn't affect you.
SoulMan901

Welcome to my world. I'm in the same Situation as you although I have already chosen everything for the most part except the Motherboard. Still working on that one. I am currently leaning towards a 680i, but you are looking maybe for a Motherboard that would support Crossfire maybe? If so you might want to look at the Intel Bad Axe 2 or something based on a P965 Chipset. I heard of IDE issues with those boards but since you are all SATA, maybe that wouldn't affect you.
SoulMan901

naw im not going to be doing any sli or xfire. ive never been a big fan of 2 video cards at the same time...the amount of performance increase vs the money spent, extra heat, etc never seemed worth it to me

Then I would probably recommend this board.
ASUS PB5
It's starting to look mighty tasty to me. I may not want SLI in the end I guess.
SoulMan901

I've heard that is a good mobo for P965. I know you don't want Crossfire, but it would support it. Otherwise, I would give it a thumbs up if that is what you are looking for in a board.
SoulMan901

Have a look at the abit AB9/AB9 Pro.
It's a quick mobo at stock (& a decent but not great oc mobo although I did note that's not a concern).
It's very well featured for the price.

what would be the best board/chipset for a nvidia video card?

please dont say the striker cause im not spending $450 on a board

yikes that board looks like such a downgrade compared to my A8N-SLI Premium. i just checked out ur thread and took some notes.

you know anything about this board - good/bad?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131149

I have just gotten that board and so far it's all good, my initial overclocking experiences with it have also been great, however it irritating that Asus didn't put thermal sensor CABLES into the box... :confused:

I can however not say that I'm sure it's good value compare to the "regular" P5B deluxe, it's mainly better caps, better sound and 3 buttons you get. Oh and som pretty extreme voltage options in BIOS.

Well, 2 cents.......
Cheap board,basic features,single PCI-e.....great stability and OC....Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
More expensive,very stable,SLI,good OC.....680i chipset without all the problems of the reference boards.....ASUS P5N32-E SLI

I use both currently and am very happy with their performance.

I have to recommend the Intel D975XBX2 (aka Bad Axe 2) ... it's been rock solid for what I want to do (which is overclocking without SLI) and most importantly is completely silent. Unlike all the asus, abit, gigabyte and evga boards I've owned in the past, the Bad Axe 2 has zero capacitor whine. That's a big deal for me. This is my first-ever Intel MB and I've been very very impressed by its build quality.

Plus its overclocking abilities are pretty great. I have my E6600 running at 3.2 ghz with no voltage tweaks, rock solid in Vista 64. Could (and will) push it further when I have time, but I like the fact I'm getting an 800mhz overclock with a fanless Scythe Ninja heatsink.

edit: Also want to add that like the OP I never intended to overclock. It was just too easy once I figured out the right settings, and the C2D has so much overclocking headroom it's almost a shame if you don't.

yeah i been reading up on people's OCs on the E6600s and theyre just OC-ing beasts. I may play around with it and see what I can get.

as far as boards...i was looking at the new asus vista edition boards. they look nice and are specifically designed for vista. i have a a8n-sli premium and there are 2 things on the board that there are no drivers for....i have no idea what they are...probably game ports or something. my system is stable in vista x64 but i really dont like seeing devices that are not working correctly....plus these new boards have 512mb of memory built on the board for readyboost.

what type of RAM would you suggest for OCing a tad? i also think I may go with a SLI capable board just incase I do decide to add another card at a later time...not sure if i will or not but id like to have the option.

Intel Bad Axe 2. Nothing else really needs to be said for best stability. I know some may disagree with me, but I know from experience that Intel boards are the most stable.

I currently have a Gigabyte DS3, which is great until I overclock it, then it reboots itself (see my other thread I started about it).

I strongly recommend against buying the P5B Deluxe. It's the most unstable motherboard I've ever used.

Well, might be the case with your experience, but a lot of other people seem to be doing better with it. My A8N-SLI was a complete dud, but a lot of people still had good experiences with that board too.

Back