Recommend me a 27" AMVA /PVA/non-TN/non-IPS monitor for casual gaming

schoolslave

[H]ard|Gawd
I am finally getting fed up with the IPS glow on my U2412m.
Ideally, I want to upgrade to a 27" @ 1920x1080 AMVA panel monitor which can play games like Skyrim/FPS singleplayers/etc without any noticeable input lag/ghosting ( I do not notice any ghosting on my U2412m, even in games like CoD Ghosts MP).
I really want better blacks and maybe improved colors compared to my U2412m.

I am looking for a monitor which meets all the following:

- available from amazon
- 27", 1920x1080 (MUST)
- deep blacks, vivid colors
- input lag/responsiveness on par with or better than U2412m
- preferably no noticeable "glow"
- $200 ~ $450

You just described my Samsung s27c750p.

I'm a casual gamer now but I used to be heavily into Quake where every split nanosecond counts. I'd still slightly prefer my CRT for Quake, but I'd definitely be able to play with the Samsung without complaint. For casual gaming, especially single player? Give me the AMVA any time. Give me the AMVA over TN and IPS too because gaming is exactly where that contrast ratio counts. Everything just feels so much more vivid, yet in a very natural, warm way.

I really have no idea where this screaming and hollering about pixel response is coming from. I mean sure, everything is a tiny bit blurrier in comparison to my CRT but the way everyone's behaving, you'd think AMVA and IPS panels are bottomless pits of sticky pixel tar. And while we're at it -- in terms of pixel response, there's no readily perceptible difference between my screen and IPS screens I've used. In fact, a certain IPS panel was way worse because of poorly implemented overdrive that caused some pretty hilarious overshoot. No visible overshoot whatsoever on the Samsung, even on the strongest overdrive setting.

As I understand the new 27'' AMVAs are almost interchangeable. BenQ GW2760HS/HM and EW2740, Samsung s27c750p, Asus VN279 -- they all perform almost the same. I can't really vouch for this, but that's what I've heard from every reputable source. Get whatever's PWM free and free of pixel overshoot and you'll be as happy as a clam and free of IPS glow oil spills.

This thread has links to reviews of the 3 best 27" A-MVA panels, refer to PRAD's reviews to compare the pixel response times. For reference here are the U2412's pixel response times:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part13.html#Responsiveness

The Asus has the most balanced overdrive (Trace Free 60) in terms of pixel response times and overshoot ghosting and it has a height adjustable stand. All of the A-MVA panels are delay free.

-550$
-18ms signal delay vs. the U2412's 1ms (measured by PRAD)

ASUS VN279QL. Using as my PS4 monitor. It is great. The blacks are awesome!

Benq 2760HS
Asus VN279Q
Samsung s27c750p

All 3 use same panel and have similar characteristics. Main diffrences are in ergonomy.

This thread has links to reviews of the 3 best 27" A-MVA panels, refer to PRAD's reviews to compare the pixel response times. For reference here are the U2412's pixel response times:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part13.html#Responsiveness

The Asus has the most balanced overdrive (Trace Free 60) in terms of pixel response times and overshoot ghosting and it has a height adjustable stand. All of the A-MVA panels are delay free.

-550$
-18ms signal delay vs. the U2412's 1ms (measured by PRAD)

I will most likely get a S27C750P.
I think I remember you mentioning that this monitor can do up to 75 Hz? Do you have a tutorial for setting it up like that or is it just as simple as creating a custom resolution?
Also, is there a reason you ran the monitor at 72 Hz as opposed to 75 Hz?

avoid the Asus at all cost, read further in thread to read some very bad expriences with it. I can't talk about the two other ones. I'd try the Samsung if I were you.

if I was still into VA I'd buy Benq 2760HS because it's better viewing angles than other VA panels on market. Also I'd use this or this and OC hell out of this monitor to make it game-able :)

it's single link DVI so it should in theory be able to OC up to 230MHz with those patches which would give 104Hz. But how much it can OC I don't know for sure :eek:

if I was still into VA I'd buy Benq 2760HS because it's better viewing angles than other VA panels on market. Also I'd use this or this and OC hell out of this monitor to make it game-able :)

it's single link DVI so it should in theory be able to OC up to 230MHz with those patches which would give 104Hz. But how much it can OC I don't know for sure :eek:

Display quality will deteriorate severely at that point, the panel cannot draw fast enough. What's the point? It'll just be a blurry mess of half drawn frames.

Purchased the Samsung today.
What an amazing monitor! Thanks for the help.

Remember to play around with HDMI low/normal settings, depending on your GPU. I don't know what AMD users needs to do, but I installed the Nvidia HDMI patch for the full 0-255 range and I'm using the screen on "HDMI Normal" setting.

Also, don't forget the Gamma settings under "Color". Use "Mode 3" if you want that really rich, contrast-heavy look.

Back