Recommend me a 1155 board?

ssnyder28

2[H]4U
Hello,

I'm looking for advice regarding getting a motherboard or possibly 2 for socket 1155.

Specifically, both pcs will be using a 2500k, a single 6950, 8 gb ram, a 120gb sata 3 SSD, backup HDD.

I currently have a ASUS P8Z68-V LX which is a decent board but I'm under the impression that I shouldn't be OCing on this board over 4.5ghz. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like to have a board capable of OCing these cpus as close to 5.0ghz as possible.

Hello,

I'm looking for advice regarding getting a motherboard or possibly 2 for socket 1155.

Specifically, both pcs will be using a 2500k, a single 6950, 8 gb ram, a 120gb sata 3 SSD, backup HDD.

I currently have a ASUS P8Z68-V LX which is a decent board but I'm under the impression that I shouldn't be OCing on this board over 4.5ghz. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'd like to have a board capable of OCing these cpus as close to 5.0ghz as possible.

Unfortunately, you will have to spend $200 or more for each motherboard if you want to come close to 5.0 GHz with these CPUs. This is partly because the lower-end boards have lower-quality capacitors. But more importantly, the reason why the P8Z68-LX and its Z77 successor are not recommended for serious overclocks is that such budget boards have absolutely no manual CPU voltage adjustments whatsoever outside of mere voltage offsets. In other words, you're stuck on AUTO for the CPU voltage on such lower-end boards - and that the CPU voltage often gets bumped way too high on an overclock of just a few hundred MHz (I noticed this on my Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard that offers only CPU voltage offsets, which in combination with its installed i5-2400 CPU bumped the DIMM voltage all the way from 1.15V to 1.35V on an overclock of just its limited 400MHz above default).

id say MSI boards ...theyre at their height atm and affordable . Plus they costumer service deosnt seem to suck elephant balls.
MSI is solid imo , and asus is also no question ... maybe asus boards come with xtra fan onboard connections ect but thats playdoh to me .I mean cmon look at the sabertooth series , im having a hard time believiving that plastic casing with rediculas smalls fans attached here and there are doing any good.
NVM you ask me MSI n ASUS = same league..then>Asrock >gigabyte (wich is pretty much dead in my book)They missed the train

Unfortunately, you will have to spend $200 or more for each motherboard if you want to come close to 5.0 GHz with these CPUs. This is partly because the lower-end boards have lower-quality capacitors. But more importantly, the reason why the P8Z68-LX and its Z77 successor are not recommended for serious overclocks is that such budget boards have absolutely no manual CPU voltage adjustments whatsoever outside of mere voltage offsets. In other words, you're stuck on AUTO for the CPU voltage on such lower-end boards - and that the CPU voltage often gets bumped way too high on an overclock of just a few hundred MHz (I noticed this on my Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard that offers only CPU voltage offsets, which in combination with its installed i5-2400 CPU bumped the DIMM voltage all the way from 1.15V to 1.35V on an overclock of just its limited 400MHz above default).

$200? I spent about 1/2 that for the asrock ext 3 gen 3 and works great at 4.8. My cooling is a bit under 70 running ibt/prime, so I havnt pushed anything past that.

$200? I spent about 1/2 that for the asrock ext 3 gen 3 and works great at 4.8. My cooling is a bit under 70 running ibt/prime, so I havnt pushed anything past that.

Hmm anyone else with a board they got at around $100 or a little more that can OC to 4.8 or more? I've always managed to get by by spending the least amount that I could for what I need in a motherboard, Am I playing a dangerous game here?

If you are looking to OC your 2500K keep in mind it may not have that frequency available most Sandy Bridge CPUs have a real world limit around 4.8GHz there is a possibility with excessive voltage and PLL adjustments you may be able to reach the frequency. Keeping this in mind it may mean you will have to live without sleep or hibernation and potential degradation to the CPU core due to the increased vid.

Overall if you are looking for an upgrade a solid upgrade would be P8Z77-V LE Plus if you are really on a budget if not my recommendation is the P8Z77-V ( Standard ) you are looking about 185 for an awesome board with tons of functionality and robust OC range for Sandy Bridge plus full support for Ivy Bridge.

Additionally at higher frequencies you can easily be causing potential damage to the mosfet on the board asking for burnout which could fry the VRM and the CPU. especially if you are running unvalidated applications like Prime or IBT ( which if you are ensure you use the updated versions that correctly support Sandy Bridge )

Some big plus are great fan controls for tuned control over CPU fan and other chassis fans, Intel Nic ( on the -V ), superior USB3 performance with USB3 boost and an awesome UEFI for easy tuning of board OC wise. Plus tons more.

Hope this helps.

Another nod for the Gene. Also check out the Gigabyte Z77 UD3H/UD5H and Asus Z77-V.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3

has all the features you could need.

Crossifre is only 16x 4x though

Gigabyte P67A-UD3

has all the features you could need.

Crossifre is only 16x 4x though

There is no reason to go with what I now consider a limited and outdated chipset vs the better Z68 or newer and even better yet Z77, especially since a Z68 or Z77 CAN be had for about the same $120 price tag.

Back