Recommend a SATA dvd burner

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...005 1036506653&bop=And&SrchInDesc=sata&Page=1

what's good? my nec 3500 just kicked the bucket. It was flawless all the way to the end when it just started burning nothing but bad discs.

A majority of my burns are used on a platform that requires really good burns, so a good burner again would be needed. I try to use high quality media, but also have a lot of low qual discs that were too good to pass up, so ability to burn on a variety of medias would be nice too.

Also, bitsetting for all +'s would be nice and possibly rpc2 although I never really had a need for it.

Scratched disc reading would be good too, especially for cdr's.

ability to read non eltorito dvd headers would be nice too but afaik no dvdrw's currently out in the market can do it

I did lots of research and the 2 burners I bought (in sig) are the best all around : Samsung SH-203B and Pioneer DVR-212D. Both are SATA and they are good at reading and burning on a variety of media like you asked.

I did lots of research and the 2 burners I bought (in sig) are the best all around : Samsung SH-203B and Pioneer DVR-212D. Both are SATA and they are good at reading and burning on a variety of media like you asked.

thanks for the response. you think it'd be worth cancelling the optitrac for one of these?

One more vote for Samsung SH-203. It reads all of my scratched up discs and I haven't had a bad burn with it yet.

thanks for the response. you think it'd be worth cancelling the optitrac for one of these?

Yes. The reason I picked these 2 (especially the Samsung) is because CDFreaks, who are a forum for burners maniacs, is going crazy with the SH-203B and DVR-212D results and is recommending to everyone. Cheap is also a bonus :D

I picked 2 since I want to have a choice of burner to read those who are hard to read (if one fail, the other might succeed) and to do cd/dvd 1:1 copies.

Are any of these drive very fast when ripping? I have an old Pioneer A07 which rips fast, but I'm in the market for a SATA drive.

Just had my order canceled. Looks like I'll be getting my drive on Monday now instead of tomorrow. Also switched from ridata -r's to ridata +r's since someone said the samsung likes +r's better. Personally I've always liked -r, but with bitsetting to -rom, +r's are growing I suppose.

Thanks for the input. Forgot about cdfreaks

just posted this dvd on a other topic:samsung sh-s203b maximumpc gave this a kickass award

samsung sh-203b
single-layer burn tine 5.00 minute
7.96gb of data 13:00 minute in dl
14.31 writing 4.3
4.38to a dvd+rw in 14.31
dvd+r write speed average 13.45x
dvd+rread speed average 12.13x
access times random/full 116/198ms
dvd+dl write speed average 9x

I'm still a plextor fan. I have 4 of them personally and ordered 30 plextors (to replace the stock Combo drives) for work, this past summer. I haven't had a single complaint.

I really wanted to find a store that would carry the discontinued Pioneer with the nice silver button but I couldn't so I decided to order the Samsung SH-203B.

I've got the Samsung SH-S183L

The best part of the drive is that it's so small. It's almost square.
I dunno if the new sammys are the same.

I've got the Samsung SH-S183L

The best part of the drive is that it's so small. It's almost square.
I dunno if the new sammys are the same.
2 Samsung SH-S183L in two systems no problems either except Vista 64 doesn't like Nero on CD.

2 Samsung SH-183Ls and 1 Samsung SH-203L, never had any problems reading or writing to any media. They are quiet and have a small footprint too.

SH-S203N here...same as 203b but with lightscribe. Samsung drives seem to be the best for reliablity.

I've got the cheaper model plextor (i think its the SSA-755 or something) and I have to say that I'm not too please with it. Seems to intermittently have problems being recognized and will sometimes dissapear from my device manager until I reset the CMOS for some reason.

I've got the cheaper model plextor (i think its the SSA-755 or something) and I have to say that I'm not too please with it. Seems to intermittently have problems being recognized and will sometimes dissapear from my device manager until I reset the CMOS for some reason.

is there a firmware update for either the drive or the motherboard? is it sata or pata? if it's sata, dropouts aren't unheard of (still bad of course). for pata, that sounds a lot more rare :(

It's SATA and its the PX-755SA. I downloaded PlexTools and flashed with the newest firmware. I upgraded my motherboard as well. This really, really helped, but its still not 100%. It used to drop out pretty much every day, now its more like once a month or two.

It's SATA and its the PX-755SA. I downloaded PlexTools and flashed with the newest firmware. I upgraded my motherboard as well. This really, really helped, but its still not 100%. It used to drop out pretty much every day, now its more like once a month or two.

hmm. tried a different cable? maybe the vibration of the drive causes it to come loose for a sec? shouldnt make a difference since sata can hotswap so ionno

Back