Recommend a replacement for my Logitech G500 mouse?

Well it's on Amazon for $60, not some random site or gouging like the G500s.
https://pchound.com/831911/logitech-g400s/

Logitech.com G500 Height:44 mm or 1.73 inches Width:75.9 mm or 2.99 inches Depth:129.2 mm or 5.09 inches Weight:164 g or 5.78 ounce
Model Number:M-U0010

G400s Height:43 mm or 1.69 inches Width:73 mm or 2.87 inches Depth:131 mm or 5.16 inches Weight:137 g or 4.83 ounce
Model Number:M-U0028

X8A7gaB.jpg

I don't know why their management makes slight deviations, but that's pretty close compared to the xx2 and their own special name (Agamemnon Fortitude! Hephaestus Forge!) line.

Comparing the features of G400s vs G502, I'd probably pay the extra $10 or so (if even) for G502 over G400s. I replaced my G400s as it had developed an issue in one of the mouse buttons that it won't click as smoothly, replaced it with G502. My G400s is now my work mouse, as I found after using these ergonomic mice, normal mouse is not really 'normal' anymore, and the mouse is otherwise still perfectly functional.

But that would be me, I do not like buying older products, EoL'ed products especially, mainly because I do not like to end up with a product that was made early in the production and left sitting in on a shelf or in a warehouse for that long. My last product that was 'old' was my Asus Padfone S, and back in February I still managed to get a dock whose production date was back in June 2014.

Well it's on Amazon for $60, not some random site or gouging like the G500s.
https://pchound.com/831911/logitech-g400s/

Logitech.com G500 Height:44 mm or 1.73 inches Width:75.9 mm or 2.99 inches Depth:129.2 mm or 5.09 inches Weight:164 g or 5.78 ounce
Model Number:M-U0010

G400s Height:43 mm or 1.69 inches Width:73 mm or 2.87 inches Depth:131 mm or 5.16 inches Weight:137 g or 4.83 ounce
Model Number:M-U0028

X8A7gaB.jpg

I don't know why their management makes slight deviations, but that's pretty close compared to the xx2 and their own special name (Agamemnon Fortitude! Hephaestus Forge!) line.

Well guess I was wrong. I could've sworn the 400s was smaller than that. I never owned the G400s but played around with it at Best Buy. Maybe I'm thinking of another one or something.

They are very confusing, first they care about G500->G500s and the 400 pair, but then it's abruptly stopped and the buttons are clearly revamped. And they can definitely be flexible with sensors, the G302 is different from the G303. They could still make the G502 less expensive, but loyalists could get their shape with the latest sensor and get more years.

I like the G910 keyboard but only with my fingers, not my eyes. People like Logitech, but they didn't want to just release a solid keyboard. The plain CM Storm ones do well or Corsair with a nice look, but no blue paint. And they went crazy with Corsair Gaming and a logo change, overthinking.

I like the G910 keyboard but only with my fingers, not my eyes. People like Logitech, but they didn't want to just release a solid keyboard. The plain CM Storm ones do well or Corsair with a nice look, but no blue paint. And they went crazy with Corsair Gaming and a logo change, overthinking.

After having used old IBM Model M keyboards for years, nothing else will do for me anymore

I picked up a few of the Unicomp versions lately.

Not the prettiest, but damn are they delicious to type on!

Zarathustra[H];1041617665 said:
After having used old IBM Model M keyboards for years, nothing else will do for me anymore

I picked up a few of the Unicomp versions lately.

Not the prettiest, but damn are they delicious to type on!

Yup...buckling spring switch...last I heard still the only switch where tactile and audible feedback are precisely aligned to activation.

(When my fingers are sore I do get what people say about the higher activation force the Model M boards require though. In these times I try to force myself to type more gently taking advantage of the switch's precision...)

Yup...buckling spring switch...last I heard still the only switch where tactile and audible feedback are precisely aligned to activation.

(When my fingers are sore I do get what people say about the higher activation force the Model M boards require though. In these times I try to force myself to type more gently taking advantage of the switch's precision...)

I don't think I've ever had that problem, though I can see that if your hands hurt it might be an issue.

I'm curious, do you work with your hands? How do they get sore?

Personally my typing method is to mash those keys down against the back stops every time. :p

Blues are my favorite to type on. I really like the tactile feel of them and the noise doesnt bother me. However it drives my wife insane and so I guess I have to stick with the Browns thats on my G710+. They offer the best balance for me for the tactile feel but with very low noise.

My G500 is doing the same crap. Actually this is my 2nd replacement. I am done with Logitech. So I am now looking for a replacement as well.

Zarathustra[H];1041604636 said:
Hey all,

My G500 (which replaced my G5, which replaced my late 90s/early 2000's Microsoft Optical Mouse before that) is finally starting to shit the bed.

Logitech-G500-2.png

First it had button problems (which I fixed by taking it apart) but now a few months later it has some sort of electrical connection problem resulting in random USB disconnects and reconnects while gaming.

I like its nice subtle styling without any bright LED's or space alien inspired styling, and the largish rounded shape feels perfect in my hand, especially when loaded up with all the weights. (I love a heavy mouse)

I'm struggling to find a good replacement though.

The direct replacement from Logitech is the G502 Proteus Core, but it has that aggressive styling, I hate, blue LED's and it just doesn't look like it could be even remotely comfortable in my hand.

logitech-g502-proteus-core-souris-gaming_59fab7d57fb3150c.jpg

It would look absolutely obnoxious on my desk, and I can't imagine the G LED being anything but distracting in a dark room.

Can anyone recommend a "sleeper gaming mouse"? Are there any of these?

Ideally I'd like the high resolution features with the ability to load up the weight like Logitech offers, but in a subtle office friendly package, and in a more traditional rounded comfortable mouse shape.

I have contemplated simply buying old stock of the G500 or G500s on ebay or Amazon where I can find it, but people are asking surprisingly much for old mice.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

If I didn't just by my Hyper X FPS Pro I might be tempted to buy one of those newer MX518's. I used to use those in all my past builds.

If I didn't just by my Hyper X FPS Pro I might be tempted to buy one of those newer MX518's. I used to use those in all my past builds.

I used two mice with roughly the same shape (G5 and G500) in a row, but those had the weight cartridges.

I wonder how much the MX518 without a weight cartridge weighs? I like heavy mice. My G5, G500 and now my G502 all were constantly maxed out from a weight perspective.

logitech proteus spectrum works well. i would say it's not far of from older logitechs like that, i did own a 500mx, only side buttons are a huge upgrade. never owned anything but logitechs last 10+ years :p and no one ever failed me. only my keyboard did, after like 2 years only.

logitech proteus spectrum works well. i would say it's not far of from older logitechs like that, i did own a 500mx, only side buttons are a huge upgrade. never owned anything but logitechs last 10+ years :p and no one ever failed me. only my keyboard did, after like 2 years only.

They fail me a lot with the double click issue, but Logitech always replaces them for free. And every mouse brand uses the same omron switches that are subject to the double click issue. They keep saying the omron switches are rated for more and more clicks but they always seem to fail. I guess it's hard to make a durable switch for a mouse.

I have same preferences as OP for mice.

After a short stint trying out a Razer Deathadder (waste of cash for me), and that phase where Logitech starting using that rubberized coating on everything that inevitably turned into a snottty mess, I gave Corsair a try. Been pretty happy with the M65 for the past two years. The only complain I had about it was that it had this nonskid coating on it that would irritate my pinky finger. It has long since worn off though

I have same preferences as OP for mice.

After a short stint trying out a Razer Deathadder (waste of cash for me), and that phase where Logitech starting using that rubberized coating on everything that inevitably turned into a snottty mess, I gave Corsair a try. Been pretty happy with the M65 for the past two years. The only complain I had about it was that it had this nonskid coating on it that would irritate my pinky finger. It has long since worn off though

Yeah, I love the feel of that rubberized stuff when it is brand new, but it never lasts very long....

Last time I bought a mouse I went by looks and what a mistake. so uncomfortable in the hand. Either try them out before or be prepared to exchange. I found some cheap ones on Amazon I liked just as much as the Logitech you had. Had a razor I hated. I also hate a light weight mouse. Love the ones with weight.

Last time I bought a mouse I went by looks and what a mistake. so uncomfortable in the hand. Either try them out before or be prepared to exchange. I found some cheap ones on Amazon I liked just as much as the Logitech you had. Had a razor I hated. I also hate a light weight mouse. Love the ones with weight.

The great thing about the MX518 I'd that it is the mouse that the G5/G500 were based on, so it has the same shape. Since I know I liked the shape and feel of those, the MX518 should be good in that regard.

Add in more modern and better sensors, and it ought to be killer.

It is an earlier design without the custom weight add-ons though, so I am concerned it might be too light

Back