Recommend a replacement for 2 24" 1920x1200 monitors

What is a good single widescreen monitor replacement for 2 1920x1200 monitors?

I was thinking of getting a single 38" or 42" widescreen monitor with a resolution of around 3880x1600, but those are somewhat expensive. Is the image quality improvement worth the cost?

At that resolution DPI will be just slightly higher vs what you are replacing. If you work with text all day, I would get a 5k2k 34" instead. Or try a 16:9 4k 32" first (those are cheaper and I find them big enough to replace 2 smaller monitors).

Last edited:

I was thinking of getting a single 38" or 42" widescreen monitor with a resolution of around 3880x1600, but those are somewhat expensive. Is the image quality improvement worth the cost?

Why only so called widescreens, ie what is the reason for it?

You really need to provide more information about usage, budget etc to get any good answers. The suggestions will probably be different depending on if you are a die hard e-sports pro or working in Excel all day long :)

You could look at Super Ultrawides, so 32:9 monitors. Like the Samsung G9 series, or the ones that predate it, the RG90 or CHG90 that are more affordable.

Samsung RG90 - 5120 x 1440 @ 120hz
https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors...d-32-9-gaming-monitor-49-inch-lc49rg90ssnxza/

Samgsung CHG90 - 3840x1080 @ 144Hz
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

Why only so called widescreens, ie what is the reason for it?

You really need to provide more information about usage, budget etc to get any good answers. The suggestions will probably be different depending on if you are a die hard e-sports pro or working in Excel all day long :)

You're right, sorry about that.

I'll be using this for work from home sysadmin work, so the workload is going to be 2 browser windows, Teams, Outlook, and a bunch of console windows all open at the same time. This will be plugged into a 16" Macbook Pro, so USB-C connectivity would be nice.

My employer should probably be paying for this, but they won't. The best monitor they offer is a 27" Samsung 4K display. I was hoping to keep this setup under $1,000.

You're right, sorry about that.

I'll be using this for work from home sysadmin work, so the workload is going to be 2 browser windows, Teams, Outlook, and a bunch of console windows all open at the same time. This will be plugged into a 16" Macbook Pro, so USB-C connectivity would be nice.

My employer should probably be paying for this, but they won't. The best monitor they offer is a 27" Samsung 4K display. I was hoping to keep this setup under $1,000.
If gaming is out of the question and you don't want a normal 4K 16:9 for whatever reason and have room for it, I would consider a real ultrawide like LG 40WP95C or Dell U4021QW if you can fit it into your budget.

https://www.displaywars.com/43-inch-d{32x10}-vs-34-inch-21x9 a nice tool to compare the sizes. Higher DPI will look really nice for text, but if you are fine with what you have now you also have the 34" 3440x1440 screens as an option to save some bucks. As already stated above, personally I would ignore anything under 2160p and would stick to IPS if possible (VA only if it's curved since it washes out visibly at 32" 16:9 already on the sides, ultrawide will be even worse), but that is me.

Back