Recommend a Monitor Please

Xaeon

Limp Gawd
I am going to be building a new computer this January and I will be looking at a 24" widescreen at that point, but I need an LCD to tide me over until then. Right now I am using an old (8+ years) 17" Sony Trinitron monitor hooked up to my 600m notebook when I am at home. I like to have the extra space and size when I have it "docked". However, this monitor makes me feel like I'm going to go blind after looking at it for a couple hours and it takes up way, way too much space.

-----------------------

So what I am looking for is as follows:

19" or 20"
4:3
LCD
SXGA+ (1400x1050)
Good colour
Decent response time (doesn't have to be spectacular)
Cheap (from $200 to $300, willing to go to $350 or a bit more if it's really worth it)

-----------------------

It will be used for:

A lot of web browsing
Office use (Word, Excel, etc.)
Light Photoshop work
Light Gaming

-----------------------

Things I'm looking for by order of importance is:
1. Price
2. Colour reproduction
3. Resolution
4. Response time for gaming
5. Size

-----------------------

It will be mostly used for RTS games when it is used for gaming, so ghosting won't be much of an issue. I just really want a solid monitor that will last me a few years without giving me problems.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you can give. I know this is the right place to ask and I trust the community here greatly.

Thanks again.

EDIT: After doing some looking, I realized that I could get a monitor that would match the resolution of my notebook exactly. I would like to revise the parameters to ideally get a SXGA+ display, which is 1400x1050 pixels. This would be the best solution, I think.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still going to go for a non-widescreen with good colour accuracy, though. Also, I'm not sure I can get this at Costco in Canada.

I'm also in the market for a good 19ish non-wide LCD in Canada, this forum isn't always the best place because most people are in the states, and most websites, prices, availability are always different.

Most of the time I compare CanadaComputers.com and tigerdirect.ca for prices, If you know what qualities you are looking for its not hard to shop on those sites. Customer reviews on tigerdirect.ca are really handy aswell.

If your looking for something to "tide you over" for a bit, I would recommend this, it's a great screen for the price.

digital_exhaust said:
If your looking for something to "tide you over" for a bit, I would recommend this, it's a great screen for the price.

Its too bad newegg doesn't ship to Canada and even if it did it wouldn't be cost effective with all the increases for it to get here.

It is true that I would not be able to purchase from Newegg, but I do appreciate the recommendation and I will take a look at some local places to see if that monitor is available. I can't recall seeing this particular brand before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anyone else have anything?

Some of the HANNS models are pretty cost effective, i've read not to go with the I-Inq made ones as they have been noted to fail more readily.

Xaeon said:
It is true that I would not be able to purchase from Newegg,

Can you use TigerDirect? If so, they have the HannsG screens as well.

No flames please, but I will also recommend ViewSonic, I have two va1912wb widescreens that I love. I know their not the best screens you can buy, but they are inexpensive, have fast response times, and the color is excellent, in my opinion. You may want to look at some of their screens....

be very carefull of the dvi problem that alot of people are facing ..
when you decide on your monitor , read and research the pros and cons about it .
dont rush into any decisions . get as much info as you can .
forums like this , will help lots .
just be carefull , dont throw you hard earned bucks , down the tube .
good luck on your purchase .
cheers .

Yes, I can use tigerdirect.ca

I looked on there and saw some of the Hanns-G monitors. They look pretty sharp. I'll keep them under consideration, but I am going to keep tigerdirect as a last option because I've been a victim of bait and switch by them before and am a little reluctant to use them again.

On another note, what do people think of Samsung and Benq 19 or 20" 4:3 monitors? There are a lot of models from both brands available locally so they seem promising.

I'm also going to stop by Costco when I get a chance and take a look at what they have available. Who knows, they may carry Sceptre locally.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

wait a minute. youve been using this monitor for 7 years and you cant wait two more months before you buy your whole new setup? unless you plan on using the 'temporary' lcd for something else, it seems like a waste. stick with what you got if its only two more months...

after buying my viewsonic vx922, I cannot recommend it higher. I think that you would be very happy with one.

krupted:

Perhaps I could have been clearer about the situation. The monitor would continue to be used as a secondary monitor after I build a new desktop and buy a large widescreen. I would use it as a monitor for a secondary system, as a secondary monitor for my main computer, and as a monitor to hook my notebook to when I have it at home. Also, I have not been using this monitor for seven years, although it is seven or so years old. I actually got it as a hand-me-down from my parents late last summer because they bought a new 19" lcd.

Sway:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look that model up.

ahhh, i got ya. a good, cheap lcd is a good idea then. i would still get a widescreen, i just cant believe how much more 'normal' they seem compared to a sqaure screen. just get a small widescreen, like the 2025wm. just my cents... and, as for the vx922, everyone ive talked to that has it says its the best 4:3 lcd screen out there, of nearly any price range. you surely would not be disappointed with it

Costco has a 20" Samsung 4:3 monitor on sale for $80 off right now. The coupon doesn't say what the model is, but my best guess is the 203B. Does anyone have experience with this model? I'm going down to look at it tomorrow night.

I got a raincheck on the 203B from Costco because they were sold out. The price after coupon is $299.99. Seems like a good deal to me. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this monitor?

digital_exhaust said:
I have never heard anything negative about Benq...

benq is acer. if you go by past complaints about acer products in general, the list is endless. their monitors do seem to be getting ok feedback, but its still acer.

Thanks a lot, Dan. After careful consideration, I've decided I will take that advice, but only when I buy my primary monitor in January. I'm just not quite picky enough to pass up a deal like this one. The monitor is just perfect in every way for my uses besides colour. I would still like to know, however, what people have experienced with the Samsung 203B.

I'll live with subpar colour for a couple months, the other factors just overpower the weaknesses for me.

I just got home from Costco and hooked up the 203B. My god, this thing is fantastic. I can definitely live with the colour inaccuracy just because this thing is so big, bright and beautiful. I love it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Back