recommend a laptop

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
I need a recommendation on a work laptop. Im looking for a few of them, with some bacis specs like 17" lcd 1900x1220 res, 3gigs of ram. Everything else can be what ever as long as its good for trading on. Would like to keep it between 1k-2k.

thanks

How soon do you need it? Lenovo's just put their newest offerings up on their website, but you'll probably have to wait a few weeks while the initial demand subsides. They also still offer the T61 and T61p, which probably meet your requirements. Though you can get WUXGA screens, you can't get them in 17" sizes, only 15".

I was just looking at the Lenovo IdeaPad Y710 - 40542AU but not a fan of the glossy screens. Most other companies that offer that screen size and res cost closer to 2k for not much extra stuff. Just not sure a non glossy screen is worth that much more.

Since it's just for work why not an insprion 1720. It definitely won't look as professional but they'll be cheap. I just build two around the coupons they have right now which is $999 and $1,349.

The $999 build I couldn't really get it to $999 so it came out to $1,174 with essential things like the T8300, Hi-res screen, and 3GB of ram. Sub total after discount came out to 939.20

The $1,349 was 30% off and came out to $944 before shipping with pretty nice things like:
T8300, 3GB ram, 1920x1200 res screen, 8400gs, 250GB HD, and the Dell wireless N card.

Of the the I'd probably get the deal with 30%, you could drop the ram and add in other features, mix and match. You could always up the ram later with better prices.

Does this sound like a good deal?

SYSTEM COLOR Midnight Blue edit
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8300 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
DISPLAY High Resolution, glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1920 x 1200)
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
MEMORY 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
HARD DRIVE Size: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
OPTICAL DRIVE CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Webcam
BATTERY OPTIONS 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
SOUND OPTIONS High Definition Audio 2.0

My Software & Accessories
ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE No Security
OFFICE SOFTWARE No Productivity software pre-installed
DESIGNED FOR DELL MICE Logitech V220 Cordless Optical Mouse - Midnight Blue

My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE Get $75 in Dell dollars with 4 yr LTD Warranty and At-Home Service
ACCIDENT AND THEFT PROTECTION Add Accidental Damage and LoJack Theft Protection to 4Yr Warr.
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested

Subtotal $1,662

it might be if you applied the coupon. i think you went crazy with the add ons. remember you're trying to get as close to 1,349 as you can to get a lower price. at 1,600 you might as well go get the gateway fx.

Im down to these 2 laptops. The Asus has a tad higher CPU speeds but the gateway has a 7200rpm HD. The Asus is 100 more to but thats no biggie. Im might not ever game on it so not to worried about the vid card. Its something about buying from bestbuy that irks me a little but will get over it. I also couldnt tell what if the gateway had a better battery. Thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892825&type=product&id=1211587727985

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220346

Id recomend the gateway. 3 gigs ram / 200 gig hd / 9800 m GTS, good specs all around, and a fairly excellent gaming machine to boot. You wont get incredible battery-life (2 hours max, id wager) due to its size / specs, but its a kickn machine, and I want one at that price. :D

the gateway is sitting at a lovely 9lbs.....
but at that price and performance ratio its hard to beat.

Personally I'd go with a top video card with a smaller built in LCD and just dock it with a nice 19" LCD.

I have access to a 17" uber laptop at the office, but never want to take it with me...I just grab one of the dell d610's. I actually just picked up a 12.1" and really like it a lot.

Im still stuck on the fence but Im leaning Asus, I hate best buy, the Asus battery seems to be a tiny better and this is just for work not gaming but I do need the highest resolution for working.

Of the two, I recommend you go with the Gateway. You may want to Google the recent news regarding Nvida mobile graphic chips.

thats the problem they both have nvida, just wondering why everyone is going gateway over asus. The gateway is almost a pound more and a tine less in the cpu speed. Just trying to get a better understanding of why the gateway is winning out. The Asus is 100 more but that doesnt mean much to me, work is paying for part of it anyway.

Acer might be a good contender if you want to save some money....good all around best bang for your buck deal

stupid question but the gateway comes with 64bit, that can be downgraded to 32bit right?

Yes, although I don't see why anyone would want to do that.

Some of the games and school programs I use dont work on 64bit and the gateway will work for both as long as its not a pain to go down to 32bit.

Back