Recommend a good website for Windows 10 User Tips

biggles

2[H]4U
Over time I seem to make lots of mistakes in using Windows 10. Stuff like:
*Not knowing what files to choose for backups
*Not knowing whether to run as user or administrator during day to day activity
*Not knowing whether to use antivirus, or whether built-in Windows Defender is sufficient
*Not knowing a fast and efficient way to do a "clean" Windows reinstall
*Not knowing how to troubleshoot and solve blue screen problems
And more...

So I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a website that gives user detailed information on items such as the ones above. Generic internet searches are really hit or miss on these types of topics. Often the advice given is impractical or outdated due to changes in the way Windows works over time.

And one more item, how to manage file storage with a small system drive (SSD) and a larger mechanical drive. For instance, within the past year I have been switching default Windows settings so that my music, my documents, my pictures etc get stored on the mechanical drive in order to save precious disk space on the smaller SSD. As folks here surely know, Windows defaults by putting those files on the system drive. Anyway, I am trying to get better at making these changes in practical ways.

just do a Google search for those topics and visit any reputable sites...

Oh man..... Surprised there isn't a "install Linux" post already.

Google search and post here is a good answer.

Because many of those topics won't have guides. For example, no one knows what files to back up besides you. You know what's important to you and where you store it. There are guides on clean installs, but it's a very simple process. Once you do it a time or two, you don't need guides. Your usage will determine if Windows Defender is sufficient or not.

Not to nitpick, but SSD stands for Solid State Drive, not Small System Drive... The more you know.

Silver

Not to nitpick, but SSD stands for Solid State Drive, not Small System Drive... The more you know.

Silver
I took it as meaning "a small os drive(ssd) and a larger storage mech drive" although you know have me wondering...

Blind coincidence.

He was just stating that his small system drive was an ssd.

I took it the same way as sknight. When you spell out a term, and then follow it with the acronym, that's usually meant as a defining statement. But, who know, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Back