Recommend a good immserive sci fi game

Eagle156

2[H]4U
I'm talking along the lines of Mass Effect... big futuristic worlds, massive skylines, corruption everywhere, Blade Runner style. I already played Deus Ex Human Revolution and probably most of the big ones, just wondering if I missed anything. Or it's back to replaying Mass Effect.

In terms of somewhat recent there is pretty much Mass Effect and DXHR. The new Syndicate game might be something you should watch for.

How far back do you want to go and what genres?

As long as the gameplay is good, I wouldn't mind a 10 year old game. FPS or RPG.

Freelancer...not an fps at all, more space flight sim, but it is sci-fi and immersive.

KotoR is definitely hot property. Freelancer is pretty fun as well. Once you're finished with the storyline, you can do some interesting things by adjusting your factions around. That and picking up Nomad weapons ;)

What about the first DX?

Honestly, I preferred it to DX:HR (although DX:HR is a fantastic game, and totally worthy addition to the series).

(1) Chronicles of Riddick

(2) Descent Freespace 1

(3) Descent Freespace 2

(4) KOTOR

(5) Deus Ex

/end thread.

If you don't mind the X series of games, they're really good, but have a slight learning curve.

Outcast is an interesting one. It used a different type of graphics engine that looked unique. Voxels? Game was pretty good if I recall. I remember enjoying it.

Freelancer is the bomb. Especially with the mods. Uh and the X3 series of games maybe. Kind of tough to get into.

Some more.

PREY
Halo
Starcraft

These aren't RPGs, though. Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines is otherworldly, so maybe try that.

+1 to Nomad Soul, I'm glad people did play this game... it was very Blade Runner style, and the David Bowie appearances and his music is a great asset of this one. I was sad, when they cancelled sequel.

Also you may try Kotor 1 and 2, and if MMOs are your fancy, then Old Republic, which, despite being MMO has great plotline, which is different for all the classess.

+1 to Nomad Soul, I'm glad people did play this game... it was very Blade Runner style, and the David Bowie appearances and his music is a great asset of this one. I was sad, when they cancelled sequel.

Wow, I wish I would have known about this when it had first come out. The graphics are a bit tough to look at from modern standards. Now, I'd be tempted to find a dreamcast and play it on that TBH.

I'm talking along the lines of Mass Effect... big futuristic worlds, massive skylines, corruption everywhere, Blade Runner style. I already played Deus Ex Human Revolution and probably most of the big ones, just wondering if I missed anything. Or it's back to replaying Mass Effect.

Star Wars Old Republic , same feel , very story driven. You don't have to group with anyone at all to max level and there's lots of play styles to choose from.

Well, if looking for 'dystopian cyberpunk', what about Frozen Synapse - on sale today on Steam.

The campaign mode of Frozen Synapse takes place in a dystopian cyberpunk future in which the player assumes the role of a digital mercenary assisting a resistance faction in the struggle against a corporate government regime which has used its power to manipulate the populace

Granted, it's nothing like DX - it's not a shooter at all; but a top-down, simultaneous-move, turn-based, tactical-squad game.

Still, the setting seem like it'd be what you are looking for. And it's cheap.

Mass Effect 3 is coming out Q1 next year, but the one I'm still holding my breath for is Firefly the video game or something similar that has to do with space pirates.

nobrainer: get E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy for 2.5 bucks in the steam sale.

The genre feels kind of untapped, compared to the number of immersive high-fantasy or post-apocalyptic themed games out there. We have our TES, Gothic, and Fallout games, now where are the non-MMO futuristic sci-fi games with massive explorable worlds with rich backstory and lore?

Even KOTOR and ME are kind of limited in scope, and you only get a tiny section of a handful of planets or space stations to visit. The Warhammer 40k universe is pretty rich as far as lore, but Relic has the rights to it, and beyond the upcoming MMO, they don't seem really interested in making an expansive RPG based on the material.

Also you may try Kotor 1 and 2, and if MMOs are your fancy, then Old Republic, which, despite being MMO has great plotline, which is different for all the classess.

Holy Crap! I am a huge Bowie fan and I knew nothing about this... Bowie even had input into the game. And Iman even makes an appearance.

From Wikipedia:
David Bowie, who had some input on the storyline and game's design, makes two cameo appearances within the game, although not as himself; first as Boz, a game character who's a revolutionary wanted by authorities, and secondly as the nameless lead-singer of the fictional musical group, "The Dreamers", who perform illegal concerts in Omikron. In addition, select tracks from his (then) upcoming 'hours...' album were written specifically for the game then rewritten for the actual album release. For instance, the intro song New Angels of Promise changed the chorus lyric Omikron to Suspicious Minds.

The game's soundtrack is a main feature as well, featuring songs by Bowie and Reeves Gabrels (most of which appeared on 'hours...' or as B-sides on the associated single for the song "Thursday's Child") in addition to the primary composition work by Xavier Despas. Most of Bowie's songs are then available (in-game only) for later listening either if the player opts to "buy" the recordings or simply walk into an apartment that already has some of the music laid out in plain view or in hidden compartments. Bowie's wife Iman also makes a cameo as one of the numerous Omikronian citizens the player can "reincarnate" into.[

Neuromancer
Hard Nova
Wasteland
Beneath a Steel Sky
Syndicate
Alpha Centauri
The Longest Journey (and Dreamfall)
Any of the Fallouts
and if you got a Sega Genesis, or at least an emulator, find Shadowrun

System shock 2
Tie fighter
Homeworld
Independence war 2

+1 to system shock 2... one of my favorite games.. that one was awesome..
If you can handle one or two generation old graphics.. everything else about the game is great. Atmosphere, soundtrack, game-play, etc.

Mass Effect 3 is coming out Q1 next year, but the one I'm still holding my breath for Firefly the video game or something similar that has to do with space pirates.

WHAT? LINK MUTHA FUCKA I WANT IT NOW! WHERE IS IT? OH PLEASE I WILL START BELIEVING IN GOD AGAIN IF THEY MADE THIS INTO A GAME....OR MMO......

/me starts having fits of pure ecstasy on just the rumor of this

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read the whole sentence, my eye orgasmed when I saw the Firefly part and just blocked everything out! DAMNIT.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 win this by a mile. Both are fantastic games and the third is coming in just a few more months.

System Shock 2. It's old, but there are community graphics enhancements that make it look a little less dated.
Very immerse game play, the storyline is classic sci-fi, classic to the point that it would be considered cliche by today's standards, but the story is still good enough to draw you in.

thanks for the suggestions i decided on deus ex. playing it now, one of the best games ive played in my life. they dont make them like this anymore.

Back