Recommend a GOOD ATX PSU **TESTER**

Laforge

2[H]4U
Hi..

I've seen those little $10-$15 testers from companies like enermax/antec/powmax, but I've also read that they are pretty much worthless. I'm looking for a decent BENCH powersupply tester, without having to get out the multimeter. Something with a nice digital lcd readout on it telling me in "plain english" what the levels are on the leads from PSU's I have or service.

Any suggestions?

you lazy bastard :p

there is nothing that can replace a quality digital multimeter. Plug the PSU into the comp, and measure, just take the molex connector and that's that!

Originally posted by Laforge
Hi..

I've seen those little $10-$15 testers from companies like enermax/antec/powmax, but I've also read that they are pretty much worthless.

Any suggestions?
....well, if what you want to do is turn on the supply and check the rail voltages, those little testers are far from "worthless", IMHO....

I've yet to see a commercially made PSU tester that I'd buy. (If you find a killer tester that's commercially available, let me know....:cool: )

You could get some load resistors, a switch, a reasonably cheap DVM....and make your own dedicated tester for a price that would be within reason. If I did this a lot, that's what I'd do.

On my bench I just dig out my worthless Antec tester and drag out the cumbersome Fluke DVM and make the measurements.....:D

Regards - B.B.S.

I once tried a PSU tester, and it said that my PSU was fine even though it was putting out 10.xX on the +12V rail, and when I used this PSU with an Intel 810i mobo with 466 MHz Celeron, the HD wouldn't spin.

The cheapest digital meter is a lot better than a PSU tester, but you may also need 1-2 load resistors because some PSUs won't run right or even turn on without a load on the +5V and sometimes also on the +3.3V. Something like 3-20 ohms will usually do, but to keep them from melting any plastic, make sure they're rated for at least 3-4 times the maximum watts. Watts = Volts^2/Resistance.

Resistor (that cheap $10 unit you mentioned) +

Originally posted by Ice Czar
this is what they used

Sanwa Digital Multimeter
PC150 High Accuracy True RMS Multi Function
with PC Link Data Logging Software
as a stand alone test rig,
even better is to use it with the complete system
to monitor voltage regulation under a dynamic load

^ from > [H]ardcore PSU info
(good examples of various PSUs)

Winbond Launches New Bus Termination Regulator April 4th 2003
"Winbond Electronics Corporation, a leading supplier of semiconductor solutions, today launched the W83310S, a new DDR SDRAM bus termination regulator. The solution, new to Winbond's ACPI product family, is aimed at desktop PC and embedded system applications with DDR SDRAM requirements.
Computer systems architectures continue to evolve and are becoming more complex; CPU and memory speeds continue to increase ever more rapidly with every technology turn. More and more high current/low voltage power sources are required for PC systems. This is particularly true for high-speed components such as CPU, memory, and system chipsets. The performance of these components is highly dependent upon stable power. Therefore, motherboard designers require accurate, stable, low-ripple and robust power solutions for these components.

Many system designs use discrete components to implement bus termination functions. This approach creates several problems including poorer quality load regulation; higher voltage-ripple, increased usage of board space and inconsistent designs when different discrete components are used.
In order to deal with these challenges, the W83310S has been designed to offer a single chip solution with accurate, cost-effective and easy-to-design properties for bus termination. The W83310S features a bi-directional regulator with driving and sinking capability; achieving 1.5Amp driving and sinking capability. In addition, the chip also offers integrated power MOSFETs, low external component count, low output voltage offset; + 5V, + 3.3V and + 2.5V operating power; a small footprint and SOP 8-pin packaging"

Transient Response: As shown in the diagram here, a switching power supply uses a closed feedback loop to allow measurements of the output of the supply to control the way the supply is operating. This is analogous to how a thermometer and thermostat work together to control the temperature of a house. As mentioned in the description of load regulation above, the output voltage of a signal varies as the load on it varies. In particular, when the load is drastically changed--either increased or decreased a great deal, suddenly--the voltage level may shift drastically. Such a sudden change is called a transient. If one of the voltages is under heavy load from several demanding components and suddenly all but one stops drawing current, the voltage to the remaining current may temporarily surge. This is called a voltage overshoot.

Transient response measures how quickly and effectively the power supply can adjust to these sudden changes. Here's an actual transient response specification that we can work together to decode: "+5V,+12V outputs return to within 5% in less than 1ms for 20% load change." What this means is the following: "for either the +5 V or +12 V outputs, if the output is at a certain level (call it V1) and the current load on that signal either increases or decreases by up to 20%, the voltage on that output will return to a value within 5% of V1 within 1 millisecond". Obviously, faster responses closer to the original voltage are best."

a few other terms that bear on the discussion

Load Regulation: Sometimes called voltage load regulation. This specification refers to the ability of the power supply to control the output voltage level as the load on the power supply increases or decreases. The voltage of a DC power source tends to decrease as its load increases, and vice-versa. Better power supplies do a better job of smoothing out these variations. Load regulation is usually expressed as a "+/-" percentage value for each of the voltages the power supply delivers. 3% to 5% are typical; 1% is quite good. (The -5 V and -12 V signals usually are no better than +/- 5% even on very good units; there's no point bothering getting them better than that since they are low-current and mostly unused anyway.)

Line Regulation: The complement of load regulation, this parameter describes the ability of the power supply to control its output levels as the level of the AC input voltage varies from its minimum acceptable level to its maximum acceptable level. Again, a value for each output level is usually specified as a "+/-" percentage. +/- 1% to 2% is typical.

Ripple: Also sometimes called "AC Ripple" or "Periodic and Random Deviation (PARD)" or simply "Noise". The power supply of course produces DC outputs from AC input. However, the output isn't "pure" DC. There will be some AC components in each signal, some of which are conveyed through from the input signal, and some of which are picked up from the components in the power supply. Typically these values are very small, and most power supplies will keep them within the specification for the power supply form factor. Ripple values are usually given in terms of millivolts, peak-to-peak (mVp-p). "Peak-to peak" refers to measuring the AC voltage from its negative maximum to its positive maximum (see here for an illustration of what this means.) Lower numbers are better.

^ Both From > Good PSU to buy?

as a stand alone test rig,
even better is to use it with the complete system
to monitor voltage regulation under a dynamic load
That, is the crux of the biscuit!
A PSU can put out the right voltage (as tested with a multimeter) all day long but, if it can't do it under load, it's nothing more than a paperweight.

Originally posted by Juka
you lazy bastard :p

there is nothing that can replace a quality digital multimeter. Plug the PSU into the comp, and measure, just take the molex connector and that's that!

Wow.. harsh.

1) I want to be able to put the psu on a bench without plugging it into a computer and POTENTIALLY FRYING THE COMPONENTS.

2) Pay attention : The point is that I want to be able to test potentially bad PSU's on a STANDALONE basis.

and I want something a lot less ghetto than my electrical tape paper clip + a multimeter to each lead, because I don't think that gives me a valid result.

I don't want to have to build my own 'draw' creating device.. I'd rather just BUY something . Yep.

bzzzt Thank you for playing

Originally posted by BlindedByScience
[BOn my bench I just dig out my worthless Antec tester and drag out the cumbersome Fluke DVM and make the measurements.....:D

Regards - B.B.S. [/B]

You're mocking me : I can tell! My feelings are very hurt, BBS.. For that I feel you must build me a tester! :)

I don't want to have to build my own 'draw' creating device..

A bad HDD that still spins, painted stealth black of course :p
alternately those stupid little $10 testers arent a bad resistor
and they do short the green power good to the ground, I got mine from PCP&C with my last PSU, of course it a 20 pin tester and the PSU I just got is a 24pin EPS12V, so I didnt use it on that one :p

There is alot to be said for testing a dynamic load, and being able to log it, so a real trick system would be some old antique and alot of spare drives, you wouldnt even need to worry about the thermal solution as much since its just a device you use intermittently.
Bet you could come up with a small 1U device,
with an external Power Header and Probe Points
encased in some nice Stainless Steel :D

(PS > your right, he was mocking you :p )

Originally posted by Ice Czar

(PS > your right, he was mocking you :p )

Yeah.. I'm smart like that :) : I pick things like that up sometimes..

I guess I still want to have something that will simulate a draw (i.e. with resistors like mentioned) but that I can just plug the 20pin/24pin header directly down into, and throw a molex or two onto it, and see what it does at the push of a single button, rather than having to fart around with a DVM and all that.

I guess I still want to have something that will simulate a draw (i.e. with resistors like mentioned) but that I can just plug the 20pin/24pin header directly down into, and throw a molex or two onto it, and see what it does at the push of a single button, rather than having to fart around with a DVM and all that.
....like I said, If you find one that's commercially available with selectable loads, let me know. I'd buy one (for work) if I could find one that was decent, but the truth is that I havnen't needed one bad enough to build one. As such, the chances of me buildind one for you aren't looking good right this second.....:p

I still use my little Antec and the Fluke. The Antec has pins installed in the Molex so all you have to do is touch the DVM probe to them to measure the voltages, and it has enough of a load in it to start most any supply.

Cheers - B.B.S.

this has given me an idea, Im modding my PCP&C
(shortening cables for the rackmount) and I think I'll attach the
12v 5v and 3.3v lines to a couple of multimeter ports,
My SANnet has those for easy in-rack testing

1.jpg

This look like the one you use, BBS?

Yeah.. that's the one that supposedly has 25w resistors when they are in fact 5 watt.

This look like the one you use, BBS?
....yep. That's the "usless" Antec tester that I use with my "cumbersome" Fluke....:D

The resistors in that are only there to ensure there's enough load on the supply to make sure the supply starts. I don't consider them, nor do I think they were intended to be a "load" per se.

Cheers - B.B.S.

i will make you one if your really that lazy ;)

the FLECOM PSU tester buy it now! only $300

seriously lmk what it is you want and maybe i can put something together for you

Frank (at) FLECOM.net

BlindedByScience said:
(If you find a killer tester that's commercially available, let me know....:cool:

SPCR's Revised PSU Testing System
DBS-2100 PSU load tester
Made specifically for testing computer power supplies, it consists of a large bank of high power precision resistors along with an extensive selection of switches on the front panel calibrated in Amps (current) and grouped into 6 voltage lines: +5, +12, -12V, +3.3, -5, +5SR. Leads from the PSU plug into the front panel, and there are taps for taking voltage readings for the 3.3V, 5V and 12V lines.

Digital readout thermometer
Heath / Zenith SM-2320 multimeter
B&K model 1613 sound level meter
Kill-A-Watt Power Meter
California Instruments 801RP Variable AC Power Supply (soon)
Thermal Environmental Control Jig

Back