Recommend a couple AP's

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I'm looking for two indoor PoE Access Points that support up to N. They can be single radio. VLan capable. Broadcast at least two SSIDs. Something that doesn't need to be rebooted or drops connection, so reliability/up time is very important. Probably can spend $150ish each. More if necessary. Going into a small business that no in house tech staff so reliability is #1.

I have this one..

Wireless N & POE and looks like a smoke detector so very sleek :)

http://www.engeniustech.com/index.p...with-smoke-detector-design-and-poe&Itemid=122

DSCN3058.JPG

^ Mounted and the POE injector is in my rack, i bought the POE injecto for 8$.

Hmm, their Internet is coming in over a Ubiquiti Nanostation 2 and im rebooting it once every few months. :confused: Are the Unifi's better than that?

Nanostation are meant for the link to the tower, not the wireless distribution in the building...

I just got a UniFi AP, have only had it for a few days though so I can't say how reliable it is yet. How ever the price is nice but would prefer something that uses standard PoE.

Nanostation are meant for the link to the tower, not the wireless distribution in the building...
That's what it's doing. Point is, connecting to the tower requires rebooting every month or two. My concern with that is if their main AP is a Ubiquiti and requires rebooting often, how does that translate to the indoor equipment...

It good to hear that some others are using the UniFi APs. We have been testing three of them for the past 2-3 months with great success. At times we have had 20-30 users on a single AP and 60+ users on the three of them. One of the APs dropped off the network about an hour after we put it in place, but after a reboot it was fine. Niether of them have had any problems at all since then. So far so good with testing. The only thing that I wish they had was more sophisticated reporting from the controller software. It pretty basic so it may not work for everyone. I'd be interested in hearing others results with these units.

Also we have also used two of the wireless bridge products with no problems either. Our current wireless bridge (cant remember which model) has been rebooted in months. :)

That's what it's doing. Point is, connecting to the tower requires rebooting every month or two. My concern with that is if their main AP is a Ubiquiti and requires rebooting often, how does that translate to the indoor equipment...

I've had unifi units for a few months now, I don't think they've been rebooted once after I finalized the wiring and config for them. Really solid.

If you look in the software, there will be an alert if they reboot. I deployed some at work in one of our hospitals, I've done three for public access and they have been rock solid for the past 2 months, no reboots needed and haven't rebooted on their own.

Are Wasp UniFi AP's the same thing? They look identical. I'm looking at CDW.

LINK

*edit* Oh I see the product line is Ubiquiti. Does WASP own Ubiquiti?

Last edited:
No Wasp dont own Ubiquiti at all they are just relabeling under there name which Ubiquiti owns Unifi. It might have WASP software loaded on it but Ubiquiti owns Unifi.

I downloaded the configuration program so that I could look at some of the settings available on these AP's. It errors out when I try to run it. Does anyone have any experience with the config utility?

Alright...after reading the name "Ubiquiti" many times...I picked up two 3-packs of their UniFi setups...gonna play with them in the office today, and if satisfied...do a test deploy at a client that wanted to add wireless to a rather large office.

Alright...after reading the name "Ubiquiti" many times...I picked up two 3-packs of their UniFi setups...gonna play with them in the office today, and if satisfied...do a test deploy at a client that wanted to add wireless to a rather large office.

Ubiquiti Ubiquiti Ubiquiti :D

CDW is now OOS. Was that you?

Pictures ? PERDY PLEASE ! :)

I put 2 of the Ubiquiti UniFi in an office for a client of mine (as well as new switches, pdu and a 8u wall rack). I will be there today and I will see if I can snap a couple of pics.

Pictures ? PERDY PLEASE ! :)

Just 6 of these things
http://www.ubnt.com/unifi

Big hubcaps. Nicely packed, good hardware with them.
Funky management software...not as good as I expected it to be..but if it works..that's all I need.

Was kinda hoping I could do a simple setup, manage each AP directly through an IP address....just like individual APs...as an option for simpler networks. From the little bit that I know at this moment..appears you need to keep this software running. The screenshots of the software make it look impressive..but in reality it's not. But..so long as it gets the job done. Just hope it doesn't turn into some memory leaking resource hog installed on a server.

You don't HAVE to have the software running for the APs to work. You are supposed to, but they work fine without.

Another vote for Engenius 9550- Rock solid, they only reboot when the power goes out- a couple times a year.

Back