Recommend a 40-50" monitor for a software developer

Wiseguy2001

2[H]4U
I'm currently using two 24" 1200p montors (HP ZR24w's). The main monitor is in landscape mode and the other is in portrait mode (which works well displaying large text files, and wide tables), plus a 19" for communication and media.

I've had the setup for five years now! I was waiting for OLED but this seems to be taking forever, the backlight on one of them is dimming and I need more pixels. I value ergonomics/ eyesight more than a strict budget.

So a couple of questions:
  • I guessing ~40" would work better ergonomically (I'll probably get a stand so it can sit lower on the desk).
  • What is the consensus of curved displays for this type of work, are they a gimmick?
  • Are there any OLED displays on the horizon?
  • Does anyone one have any experience between a large 4k display and two 27" displays, which did you prefer?

Right now the Philips BDM4350UC 43", seems to be the main contender.

I would not rule out the ultrawides either. We recently got a few Dell ultrawides at the office and those are pretty nice for fitting a code editor and whatever else on the same screen. They're also not as physically massive as a 40" TV would be.

Thanks Killerbob, I've been tempted to try the deeper blacks of a VA panels, but I don't think I can leave the consistency of IPS.

Kasakka: that's not a bad suggestion. I've I was getting this for gaming then the LG 38UC99 3840x1600 would be a ideal. Nice idea trading vertical pixels for 75hz.

After using my laptop over the weekend (with a 15.4" FHD display). It reminded me that the high pixel density (~140ppi) is much nicer to look at than my current 24's (94ppi) and 43" @ 4k is very similar (~100ppi).

So that targets the search to 32" 4k monitors. The 38UC99 actually has a nice pixel density of ~120ppi, but then I can get two 32's for about the same price. So I may not dump a dual monitor setup after all. Saying that the zr24w's do have a noticeable anti-gloss coating, so not jumping hugely in density may work. I really need to see some of these in the flesh!

Back