recommend 2.4/5GHz MIMO AP

RESTfulADI

2[H]4U
I got an RB751U-2Hn but I'm getting 30Mbit at most under ideal conditions. Nobody in my area is using Channel 11 and I have tweaked the TxPower and other settings to no avail. I don't know if 5GHz will help but I would like to try.

Anyone know of a dual band mimo AP in the $100 range?

Thanks.

What brand and type of wireless card are you using in the client? 30 Mbit is about 3.8ish MB/s which is not abnormal for a computer connecting at 150 mbps on an N access point. It also depends on if the card itself can do MIMO. There's many factors here. What are the specs on that card and what speed is Windows and the router reporting that you are connecting at?

2011 MacBook Air 13 which has a Broadcom BCM943224PCIEBT2 2.4/5GHz 2x2 MIMO card. I'm seeing 100-140 Mbit connection rates and actual throughput of 30 Mbit with CCQ ~90%.

Good eye, I should have done my research better. We have a handful of Unify units at work, I'll try to take one home and see if it works better. I should be ok with 2.4GHz since everyone in my row of houses seems to be using Ch 1 and 6 leaving 11 wide open, with 40 Mhz below.

As for 5Ghz, if I'm spending $100 I would like to be future proof, I found a post saying an updated Ubiquiti PowerAP N with 5Ghz and gigabit eth is coming but I can't find any info. Do you know of any 2.4/5GHz MIMO APs?

Thanks.

I wasn't very happy with the current gen Power AP Ns. I couldn't get a device to connect at 150 AND at 300 at the same time. The speeds weren't that great either. The Unifi on the other hand is awesome. I'd be interested to see what the new AP N could do.

Work is lending me a Unifi over the weekend, I'll post back with results when I get a chance.

Back