Recommedations For A+ Certification Books

Elmo187

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure if this is the best forum to place this in, and I know this has been asked before but without the search i haven't been able to find any previous threads about it.

What books would you guys recommend to get to study for the A+ Certification exams?

Hmm, I got my A+ Cert almost 10 years ago, when it was still Dos and Win3.1 based. :p

Personally, I like the Network Press Study Guides. Although I havn't looked to see if they have an A+ guide. I am going to get my Network+ Cert here shortly, but I am using a CD based course to study for it. Can't think of the name of the company off the top of my head though. I'll try and remember to reply when I get back to work on Monday.

Don

I took the A+ class because I needed the credit and we used Exam Prep & Exam Cram books and they were very good books I thought. I've also read the Sybex A+ book and it was pretty good as well. Just make sure to get a book that is for 220-301 & 202-302 which is the newest version for the 2003 exam.

The Sybex books usually come highly reccommended. I used Mike Meyers' A+ prep book when I got certified last year. I really liked the style that the book was written in. It made it very easy for me to follow without getting bored or overloaded. I highly reccomend it.

i also like meyer's book. useless cert nowadasy though :). i know at the shop i use to work at, if all a person had was A+ we stayed away cause they tended to be a test-taker only, and not really a good problem solver.

If your looking for an A+ book I have

Enhanced A+ Guide to Managing and Maintaining your PC Third Edition from Course Technology It's one of the reccommended books from CompTIA

PM me if your interested in buying it. I'll sell it for less than half price. I'm A+ certified and can tell you thins book is pretty dead on with whats on the test.

I second freakyhair's Mike Meyers A+ book. I cannot remember what it is called for the life of me though...

There were many more 2K/XP oriented questions than I thought there would be though, so keep that in mind... :D

Orwick Alefgard

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll head out and take a look at some of these books.

Originally posted by freakyhair
i also like meyer's book. useless cert nowadasy though :). i know at the shop i use to work at, if all a person had was A+ we stayed away cause they tended to be a test-taker only, and not really a good problem solver.

LOL I felt the same way about the CCNA and MCSE 90% of the people i've met to who hold them just know how to memorize a troytec. Most certs are just memorization of useless info. I know any people with certs that wouldn't last 5 minutes in my position. Including MSCEs who couldnt last a week as a network admin because a simple bottleneck threw them off. (true story)

i suggest getting the most recent book you can. They frequently add new stuff to the test. Some books come with vouchers for the exam as well.

ive been reading one by mindworks copyrighted 1999 but all the stuff in there is pretty outdated, according to that the newest cpu is the pentium with mmx technology.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Ruckus
LOL I felt the same way about the CCNA and MCSE 90%

CCNA is a little more hardcore than MCSE. Because of the practical exams, I don't think it's possible to get a CCNA without actually understanding what is going on. I don't know if this is the general case, but for my friend, we actually grabbed 3 routers and some 25-pin crossover cables (for the uplinks). We ended up hooking them up and playing with the different routing protocols, and various filter configurations.

It was a blast, and he ended up doing great on his exams. He took them because he had to to keep his job though :D.

Originally posted by fat-tony
CCNA is a little more hardcore than MCSE. Because of the practical exams, I don't think it's possible to get a CCNA without actually understanding what is going on. I don't know if this is the general case, but for my friend, we actually grabbed 3 routers and some 25-pin crossover cables (for the uplinks). We ended up hooking them up and playing with the different routing protocols, and various filter configurations.

It was a blast, and he ended up doing great on his exams. He took them because he had to to keep his job though :D.

you can get esims to setup networks of routers, switches, workstations. but there are cheat sheets you can memorize that run down the exact order in which to program a router and if you memorize that for a few hours you can pass the practical, trust me i know a guy that passed the CCNA with only the cheat and the troytec guy didnt even really know english.

Back