recomend DVD burner

zz2

Limp Gawd
I am going to buy DVD recorder and I need some help chosing right one.

well I am loking for burner that has:
- good writing quality
- good reading quality (C1,C2...etc)
- wide range of supported media !! (my friend bought plextor and it is giving him headaches because he can hardly find "recomended" media)

so what is in your opinion good DVD burner?

Not to mention that 1633S has a bunch of teething problems, but the NEC is rock-solid out of the box. The Lite-On will need a few firmware patches, IMO.

i have talked to someone that has NEC 3500 and he is very disapointed in this drive.
It's burning well, but it is a very bad reader. Also the list of its recomended media is very short.

zz2 said:
i have talked to someone that has NEC 3500 and he is very disapointed in this drive.
It's burning well, but it is a very bad reader. Also the list of its recomended media is very short.

How is it very bad at reading?
Even if you don't use recommended media, the 3500A will adjust its writing strategy every so often throughout the burn to get the best possible quality out of the disc.

Vulcanus said:
which one is better as far as dma goes?
DMA doesn't really matter.. all modern drives support atleast ATA33, which is fast enough for the rigours of DVD and CD burning.

i have done some search and the concluson is that there is no perfect drive. every drive has its cons and pros. so acording to my needs i am now decideing between liteon and pioner dvr-108. Pioner is good writer, very good reader, but it cannot rip properly and it is not very fast either but... well i am not ripping anything.

about nec 3500; yes it is excellent writer, but very bad reader. i have been reading in some forums that litle scratch is enough for drive not to read properly, someone posted that even fingerprints can cause problems.

I would suggest keeping away from the Pioneer 108, I bought one this weekend and it was a dead short it melted all my wires and went up in smoke, I have been trying to call them but their support is giving me the royal run around,

didn't mean to say dma, meant DAE or whatever the damn acronym is for ripping music off of cds

Yep, DAE = Digital Audio Extraction. Check out Mikhailtech, they have a review up of the drive.

pioner is very bad at ripping. so if you gonna rip, stay away from pioner!

well after reading all the bad things about the nec 3500, i have the same question as the original poster....what is a good dvd burner to buy?

zz2 said:
pioner is very bad at ripping. so if you gonna rip, stay away from pioner!

i will be gettin the pioner...i wont b using it for ripping...so is it still a good choice just for burning?

i got the pioneer, dont rip, so i cant give an opinion in that, but its a pretty good burner

Retardo said:
i will be gettin the pioner...i wont b using it for ripping...so is it still a good choice just for burning?

well I am getting it too. but it has also some speed problems.

after reading all the reviews and forums about DVD burners I really don't know anymore which burner would be really good. All drives have some problems so I think that the best thing to do is look some reviews (
www.cdrinfo.com ), then look at some CD/DVD specific forums to see what problems the drive have and if you could live with that (club.cdfreaks.com )

"If you are wondering what the differences between DVR108 & DVRA08XL are, Pioneer explains:

"...Apart from the cosmetic differences and Honeycomb Chassis for reduced drive resonance the retail version DVRA08XL also contains blank high speed media 8x DVD-R & 4x DVD-RW in the carton and additional software bundle as listed above. The DVRA08XL also includes Performance adjusting firmware, which allows for quiet playback of commercial DVD video..." "

do yall think all that difference b/t the DVR109 and DVRA08 is worth another $100? I mean i want the A08 b/c the silver button looks cool. Thats bout it. Dont need any softwares.

I don't know, the 3500 and 108 have been getting rave reviews everywhere.. I'd recommend them.

jrbryner said:
What about the Lite-on 1633? Always thought Lite-on was :D
Not right now.. the 1633S is having serious problems with some media.. best to avoid it until these problems are solved.

Back