Reclining computer desk goodness (56K be ye warned)

PhyberOptik said:
Wheredya get the chair from?

I got the seat out of a 1986 Astro van. Im looking for a nice heated seat with adjustable lumbar support. But I want it cheap, so I keep on the watch.

I love it. Anyone who plays games in his bathrobe gets a thumbs up from me!!!

Disarray said:
And I do not know how to weld, been a learn as I go deal. Only hard part might be the hinge. I fabricated it from a 1/2 galviized ground rod and 1/2 galvinized pipe. As far as weight, the desk itself weighs around 400 lbs and fully loaded with me on it is about 1/2 ton. )
Welding on galvanized parts is bad for the ole' brain. The fumes are very noxious. Keep that in mind so if you weld on some more galvanized metal, keep the ventilation going.

Disarray said:
Sure it could be bolted together. Would mean a lot more cutting. To me, cutting is harder then welding. And I do not know how to weld, been a learn as I go deal. Only hard part might be the hinge. I fabricated it from a 1/2 galviized ground rod and 1/2 galvinized pipe. As far as weight, the desk itself weighs around 400 lbs and fully loaded with me on it is about 1/2 ton. Should be well within desing loads for a floor system. (based on 40lb psf design presure. This desk would cover about 40 sq ft of floor which would give you 1600 lbs of support.)

I'm sorry but your wrong there. You can make some thing that ways hundreds of punds and is hug but you must measure the amount of contact it makes with the ground. A car for instace may way 3,000lbs but each well only makes maybe a square foot of conctact. So a 3,000lb car on a 4 square feet of contact. Your desk doesn't touch the gorund on every area it covers. measure the actually stance. If you rig up some type of large foot print such as attach a 1ch thick peice of ply wood underneath then ou shoudl me ok.

ray4389 said:
So a 3,000lb car on a 4 square feet of contact. Your desk doesn't touch the gorund on every area it covers. measure the actually stance. If you rig up some type of large foot print such as attach a 1ch thick peice of ply wood underneath then ou shoudl me ok.

But the tensil strength of teh plywood of the floor system is able to transmit the applied loads to the structure of the floor system. The 250 lb point loads of the desk are the equvilent of 4 250 pound men standing on one toe within a 40 square foot area. Would you fear colapse of the second floor of your home if 4 guys were standing in a circle talking to each other? The Modulus of Elasticity of a 3/4 sheet of OSB is 800,000psi in the direction parallel to the grain and 225,000psi perpendicular. This would give you approximately 225 lb per square inch loading for a live load. This would be the amount of design load over the entire area. The 250 lb point load is well within the design limit of the plywood.

n64man120 said:
How long did that take you?

The desk took about 40 hours, and that was design and fabrication, but my new case and installation took about 60 hours. I cant figure out why it was so tough to build, but it was.

That my friend is incredible. If I had the space I would do something like that in a heartbeat.

Qtip42 said:
You really need to streamline it. Looks like shit. Literally. Old chair, old rugs, old monitors.........cmon at least do it right

Qtip, you will be happy to learn, my wife read your post and went and bought me a black seat cover. Pics tonight.

Moros said:
Agreed. It looks hurried and thrown together just like the last one done like this. Stealthing parts or places that aren't visually pleasing is just as important in a job like that as it is in a good case job.

Disagreed. It looks cool as hell and industrial.

LOL i did a google on "Nostromo 52 game pad" to see what it was and your page came up as one of the links. just thought you like to know.

That is, complete pwnage. So [H]ard, I am going to make my own out of Carbon Fiber. Just not the built in PC part. Not ready for that.

Plus, make more, sell them, and then get LCD screens to replace the CRTs. I'd hate to hear that you died from the CRTs falling on your head...

[musical]Monitors are falling on my head! I just think that I might be Deeeeeaaaad![/musical]

i really like what you have done. seeing this makes me want to build my own type of this rig, ecept simpler. prolly just mount some type of base of the bottom of a reclinable chair and just sit my vase on that, then ghetto rig some type of thing to hold the monitors

thing.jpg

Function over form? Nice idea, just needs a little polish for my taste. Good job. ;)

The desk took about 40 hours, and that was design and fabrication, but my new case and installation took about 60 hours. I cant figure out why it was so tough to build, but it was.

I would say that is a very good investment! I'm taking notes.

I guess the only thing missing is something from a Japanese sex toy catalogue. :eek:

thats quite a workout trying to reach the keyboard... do you have to weigh a lot to get it to recline?

Wow, this thread is alive again!

0810 said:
thats quite a workout trying to reach the keyboard... do you have to weigh a lot to get it to recline?

The keyboard is removable and can sit on the arm rests for long typing sessions. And as far as weight, it doesnt matter. I normally only weigh about once a week but if I forget to get weighed, it still works fine.

swetmore said:
Function over form? Nice idea, just needs a little polish for my taste. Good job. ;)

Unfortunately, polish work is not my forte'. I have no problem with comming up with ideas and how to make it work. But once it works, I hate the work it takes to make it pretty. I really admire the guys here that have the patience to finish their projects and make them "shine".

Disarray said:
Here are the results of my current modding:
... Fuck... Damn... DAMN...

Where can I get one? Dammit, If I wasnt leaving for the USAF, I would be staying up for a few days straight making my own.

I hope that chair has memory ass foam :D

Ok... Im burning this thread to a cd. This is the best mod I have ever seen.

Hey can you post some more pictures of the rear speakers arms? I liked what you did to mount the speakers to the chair. Are those arms flexible and what materials did you used to build the arms?

hey, you know what would be so awesome? if you gave.... me...................that desk.
:)

Nice Job on it though, looks awesome.

Funny how this thread keeps coming back to life! It was fun to take a minute and reread all the great posts on this thread and my original thread on this desk.

I realy dont have time to take pics right now, I am building a house. I havent played BF2 in over a month :eek: . The speakers are mounted on a 1/2" galvanized ground rod with 1/4" dowel used to branch out to the individual speakers. The 1/2" rod slides into a 1/2" rigid pipe socket that is about 4" long. This allows the speakers to move if they are accidentally hit.

As was mentioned earlier, welding galvanized is dangerous. I was careful to have plenty of air vent stuff so I can breaths good without dain bramage. :D

I dont see any dain bramage.

I hate welding galvanized, the smell makes me choke for reals. It helps me test how long I can hold my breath tho lol.

Just saw the desk for the first time today. That thing is awesome :).

Never seen anything like this before, that's pretty sweet. Isn't it bad to have hard drives in diagonal angles though?

Bassist-X said:
Isn't it bad to have hard drives in diagonal angles though?

Never gave it a thought. They have been like that for 6 months now and I have not had the first hiccup. Which I guess even a hiccup with a harddrive is usually a deathblow.

that is awasome

some advice - paint the walls, and set up some nice lighting and make that the ultimate gaming room!!!!

You are a genius Disarray. Thanks for posting, and congrats on a great mod! I just wish I could see it in real life :(

ROAD TRIP!!

Maybe we can all pool enough nickles and dimes together, to see this legendary (and godly) desk.

MrGuvernment said:
some advice - paint the walls, and set up some nice lighting and make that the ultimate gaming room!!!!

I have since sold that house and I am tailoring my new office to be more visually appealing. And wait till ya see the theater!

jesusfr3ak4evr said:
I just wish I could see it in real life :(

Its in Macon Georgia. Right now it is in a freinds garage for emergency use. Please PM for an appointment. ;)

Rogue4mula said:
My favorite part? How ergonomically correct it is! (at least for the arms) I'm jealous.

It is very comfortable. I got really tired of slumping over a desk for 6 hour gaming sessions and all I learned from those uncomfortable times went into this design.

Back